Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 19:33 #732963

• wrenchmonkey
  • wrenchmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
When I pulled the plugs today to check the gaps, The plugs were clean but smelled kinda' burned smell and gas. I'm wondering if maybe the firing order is messed up? The manual says left coil is 1 & 4, right coil is 2 & 3. However, the old, original coils and HTs were labelled differently when I compared them during the new coils installation...
Ah! Could that be it?
Maybe the points are connected backwards?
Yellow primary wire from loom is common to both coils.
Green wire is on left coil and black wire is on right coil.
Right?
I'll double check the points are wired correctly tomorrow. I shoulda' thought about this when I was checking the points gaps and trying to do that silly timing without a dwell meter (another essential tool, I didn't think to grab from the shop :pinch: )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 19:40 #732966

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
Baby steps, Wrench, baby steps! You're inching closer to the real deal! I remember the first time I tried to fire up after I did my bore, jet kit, pods and 4-1... With that much work done on the engine at once, I can tell you I sure had a blast trying to get it to even pop over haha. But, once you hear that first clean fire and smell that sweet exhaust, let me tell you how much fresh air gets blown into your sales. You're getting close- I know it's not far off right now. Agreed with Steve- try the carb cleaner as a booster to get things going. I also found after long storage periods or after draining the tank/carbs, the bike would fire up quicker with the petcock on the PRIME position so it didn't rely on vacuum to get fuel to the carbs. Just an idea :)

Keep at it buddy! You're almost there.

Devin
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 19:46 #732968

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Hey Devin! B)

Yeah. I'm whining here but I'm not really terribly pissed or anything. I honestly didn't expect it to go smoothly and besides, if it did actually fire up I would be pissed because I can't take it for a spin yet; waiting on that chain rivet tool (says it arrives Thursday).
Oh, I also found the cup for the rear master cylinder last night? whenever, and ordered it, so with fingers crossed, I'll have that little demon worked out too before taking the thing out.
But, yeah. Baby steps. Baby steps. I find myself looking over at the 1000 now and thinking... Hmmm... Your NEXT! :laugh:

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 19:54 #732970

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I've had the coils hooked up backwards more times than I'd like to admit.
Steve

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 20:00 #732971

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Hey Steve! ;)

Yeah, my better half has seen me struggle so many times with this phase. Her first response this afternoon (sweat pouring off my arms and face, frustration oozing from all the corners) was "where's the dizzy? You got it 180 degrees out again?" :laugh: :blink: :blush:

I know it's just this bike getting jealous because it's nearly there and I keep looking over at the 1000... :laugh:

KZombie 26 Jun 2016 20:01 #732972

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KZombie 27 Jun 2016 04:17 #732988

• 650mod
  • User
I'd be more than happy with that progress! It's sure come a long way since you started posting! As for the brakes, as long as you have fronts and can downshift properly, what good is the rear? ;) I rarely end up using my rear, it tends to be the "oh s*&t" brake if needed.

What's in store for the 1000?

Devin
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore

KZombie 27 Jun 2016 19:20 #733095

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Hey Devin,

I am happy. The old reluctant machine is nearly there now. I'll get her on the road soon enough for some shakedown runs (such optimism! LOL).
I finally found the main seal or "cup" online for the rear master cylinder and ordered it. So I'll tackle that sometime. I know the MC bore is clean and not pitted so it's likely the solution but yeah, I rarely use the back brake either. It's more of a foot rest. :laugh:

The 1000? Hmmm. Originally, I wanted to do the same thing I always do and just restore it as close to original/stock as I could but after seeing so many here going the resto-mod route, I am kind of inspired to try something similar. I am by no means a speed freak (anymore ;) ) but I like the looks of builds like yours and the added bonus of better suspension, braking systems and I dig the looks of the cafe inspired styling. Then again. It's a 1000 and my thoughts (devil on left shoulder, angel on right) make me wonder if it isn't more suited to being the cruiser it was designed as. I'd be more likely to ride it down to Austin, than either the 550 or 650 just for the comfort and size.
flip flop, flip flop. Ask me tomorrow and it'll be a different response. :laugh:

One more baby step: I received my chain rivet tool and finally got the master link buttoned up. As soon as the heat abates by the time I get home from work, I'll be back at it and try to get this old thing running.

KZombie 27 Jun 2016 20:39 #733098

• 650mod
  • User
Awesome! I'm super excited for you! I just hope when you hop on for a ride, it's not LITERALLY a shake down ride haha. Perfect, one less thing to fuss over. Like I said, I'm a 40 minute drive off the border, and could easily ship things down to you for cost of shipping. Let me know what you might need, if anything. As for the 1000- I'm sure whatever you decide on will be more than awesome! Now just hit that starter button and lets hear that sucker purrr!
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore

KZombie 27 Jun 2016 20:43 #733099

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
THEN RIDE THE PISS OUT OF IT. :woohoo:
Steve

KZombie 28 Jun 2016 04:42 #733110

• 650mod
  • User
110% fully agreed with Steve! You'll have such a bad itch to ride it when she's done!

Devin
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

KZombie 28 Jun 2016 07:32 #733131

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Would it be worthwhile to spray some starting fluid in each cylinder just to hear it run for a second or two? Could help in determining if it's an electrical or carburation issue.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: wrenchmonkey