Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 01:28 #557199

• Hollywoodmx
  • Hollywoodmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
One owner bike. Purchased 1977. 24000kms. I bought it a few weeks ago and was waiting to put a post together as I wanted to have some sort of plan. The plan is to café it but I wanted to do some research.

Engine was torn down and race built. Lots of stuff from Schnitz Motorsports from back in the 80s to 2000’s;

• Drouin Supercharger kit. 3 sets of pulleys to change boost, one set is custom made.
• MTC - HD titanium retainers, 1075 8:1 piston kit, oil pan gate, Lock-up, Two Stage snowflake (WTF is that, lol)
• APE head studs
• Ferrea Titanium 36mm IN, 30mm EX Valves, bronzed seats
• Cometic 1045 head gasket
• O-R 73mm sleaves
• Liska – idle & cam tentioners, w/billet gear.
• Clark Race crank (welded)
• WebCam – Cams, racing tappets, valve springs. Valve Lift .384/.384,Duration 276/276 Grind # 119.
• Gate 5L oil pan
• APE – Cam plugs, Main bearing crank studs
• NGK BR8IEX plugs, accel wires
• Dyna green Coils
• water/alcohol injection,
• auxiliary fuel injector and fuel pump.
• Wolf hand bend header due to larger oil pan,
• 24krt gold and chrome plating.
• Extra fins added to aide in cooling head.
• Frame and Calfab swing arm have been reinforced and are powder coated,
• Lockheart Industries oil cooler.
• Bike also has a NOS kit.

You guys might notice some other parts not listed.

Altering the jets is as easy as it could ever be with two thumb screws, low and high under the seat. After having a triple I swore never to my best not to have more than two carbs which is why I love the b2 GPz and my TR1 I put a two into one carb manifold with a Harley carb on it.

Sooooo I guess you’re wondering how fast it is? It has the medium pulley on it now which is just over 105whp I think (dyno’d). It’s pretty fast. It’s been snowing here so I haven’t had much chance to dial in the jetting due to my higher altitude than the sellers. She needs some leaning but I have only rode it for 10 min total as I haven’t put insurance on it yet. It idle’s as good as my gpz except it idles at 1500 vs the gpz’s 1100. Kicks second kick warm, 5 kicks cold.

While Les’s funky 70’s LSD paint job has appeal that can pull it off today, mine, not so much. My plan is to café the bike, but "race" café style. So I have a full Bimota replica race kit coming from europe.

And what would a thread like this be without pictures and videos!
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx. Reason: corrected info

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 01:30 #557201

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Videos'

Baffle removed.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 01:33 #557202

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Now the problems that I need help with, please.

• It doesn’t brake fast enough. Both front and rear.
• It doesn’t brake fast enough. Both front and rear.
• Did I mention it doesn’t brake fast enough? Lol. With the power of the bike it’s dangerous.
• Rear sets. It has an mk2 shifter for clearance reasons. It’s not well placed and its upside action which is bothering me. Also the brake side you are too close to the SC cover and the pedal feels not in the right place.Overall its begging to be café’d so I can put my feet somewhere..lol.
• It’s heavy for sure so the bimota tank, seat and fender should help.
• I wouldn’t mine cleaning and simplifying the wiring and relays, etc.
• Supercharger doesn't make the typical SC whine really. Prev-owner said the SC is built to be quiet. He said you can get it machined to remove the sound deadening engineering.
• Wheels?
• I was looking at fork conversions due to upgrading the brakes and wheels seem to be as just as expensive of swapping out to modern forks and swing arm! Plus the stock front wheel "wheel hops".. My GPZ doesn't do this.
• I’m a bit lost on the swaps though; while there is a lot of info out there it isn't that concise. I don’t like how some of the swaps have the extended swing arm look and I would want wheels that have more than 3 spokes and matching wheels. Let me know what you guys think, any suggestions would be appreciated. More simple swaps or swaps where I can buy pre-altered parts would be the preferred method. I have access to a machinist but plug and play to some extent is nice. If someone could point me in the direction of which years of which models so I can look at all the wheel options to narrow down my search. I'm also not adverse to getting bigger spoke wheels either.

Unless someone can steer me in the direction of being able to keep the stock suspension stuff but just updating it instead because even my 82 GPZ "feels" 10 years newer/safer..
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 02:00 #557210

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
P.S.

This is the Kit I have coming. I think this is much nicer than the ELR but that's just me.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 02:45 #557214

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Ho-lee-sheeet! that motor is beautiful! Never seen the big fin treatment on a KZ,damn that looks mean. As far as plug and play swaps, it is very limited. The GS1100E swingarm is a popular swap which is very close to plug and play but will still take a bit of fitting. if you got the dough you could have Les Holt (member on here) make you one of his gorgeous chro moly swinarms which are built to fit. Since your changing out the body work what are you gonna do with it? I'd be interested in that awesome airbrushed tank B)

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 10:34 #557229

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
WOW :woohoo:
That is one Bad Axx Bike. Cant wait to see how this project turns out.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hollywoodmx

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 11:48 #557230

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
Nice to see another Drouin. Here's what i've done to mine ;)

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 12:43 #557239

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

DoctoRot wrote: Ho-lee-sheeet! that motor is beautiful! Never seen the big fin treatment on a KZ,damn that looks mean. As far as plug and play swaps, it is very limited. The GS1100E swingarm is a popular swap which is very close to plug and play but will still take a bit of fitting. if you got the dough you could have Les Holt (member on here) make you one of his gorgeous chro moly swinarms which are built to fit. Since your changing out the body work what are you gonna do with it? I'd be interested in that awesome airbrushed tank B)

Ok. I seen Les's frames but there wasn't a price. I was just going to store the body parts in my shed..lol. But the gas tank is super mint on the inside. Best vintage gas tank internal condition I have seen yet. Prev-owner said he had it coated. I could sell it if it was worth it.

zed1015 wrote: Nice to see another Drouin. Here's what i've done to mine ;)

Cool man, I seen that pick before it's good to know its someone here. I was going to change my pulley cover I was going to cut out the whole middle and glue in some plastic so its a full window to the pulleys. I was riding it with the cover off for a few min the other day..bad idea, it touched my jeans a bit, not bad but not overly safe..

I like you you cleaned up your rear end. Where is all your electrical stuff? In the seat? Do you have the same injector and carb stuff as mine? I also wondered about yours the tapped oil lines?
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 14:49 #557264

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
Yes! i made my own loom and squeezed it all in the seat.
Not using a starter motor so got away with using a smaller battery too.
Never had the original injector so have fitted an S&S super 'G' with an adjustable main jet although not got round to making the alky injection for it yet.
I dry blocked the motor and ran the oil feeds direct to help keep the oil cool as the engine does get really hot with the blower on.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 14:54 #557266

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

Hollywoodmx wrote: P.S.

This is the Kit I have coming. I think this is much nicer than the ELR but that's just me.

I remember those bimotos from late 70s-early 80s,I remember some of their early 80s versions using the engine as a stressed member of the chassis with no lower frame B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 15:44 #557268

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

zed1015 wrote: Yes! i made my own loom and squeezed it all in the seat.
Not using a starter motor so got away with using a smaller battery too.
Never had the original injector so have fitted an S&S super 'G' with an adjustable main jet although not got round to making the alky injection for it yet.
I dry blocked the motor and ran the oil feeds direct to help keep the oil cool as the engine does get really hot with the blower on.

Sweet man. How much weight did you save dropping the starter motor and battery? 8lbs? For the redoing of the harness were you able to delete anything (relays, etc)? Ya the owner told me to turn off the bike at long red lights during hot summer.

wireman wrote:

Hollywoodmx wrote: P.S.

I remember those bimotos from late 70s-early 80s,I remember some of their early 80s versions using the engine as a stressed member of the chassis with no lower frame B)

Ya they were sweet, notice the swingarm, that's bimota plus a bunch of other goodies they made. I'm thinking to have it painted like the bimota colors unless any one has any other ideas. The kit is kawasaki green at the moment. I plan on keeping the frame black.

Speaking of no lower frame, the TR-1 I'm building frame will look like this.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 15:47 #557269

• imon_2nd
  • User
  • Architect & Engineer
  • Thank you received: 4
Cool bike, Hollywood!

Isn't the oil cooler a tad small considering the power output, blower, etc?

Cheers,

Dave
Keepin' the rubber side down.