Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 19:07 #548512

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
No Mark my pressure cast pistons are three ring pistons.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 20:00 #548518

• Powerstroke_fan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 83

OldSchoolZ wrote: In regards to high rpm. I rode a Z1R years ago that was lightly bored and mostly stock minus valve spring, retainers ad valves. It had huge cams in it. Even the valve cover was grinded for clearance, shim under buscket.
The power came on at 9K and would light up the tire from 9k-13k. It was insane. :woohoo:
3rd gear when power came on simply lit the rear tire up and pulled like a freight train.
How long that motor would last, might be a different story though. :laugh:
I can more specifics on that motor is anyone wants them.
I'm stiil in touch with Jay in Houston. He owns JB Cycles and does a lot of turbo work and insane modding.
His goof around bike is an 86 GSXR1100 fuel injected. :cheer:

I wouldnt run my bike at 13k. That poor bike. I keep my limiter set round 9,700, Just because i want to be a little lower than what i consider max rpms for me.
1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 05:55 #548594

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
mtb, that piston you posted looks already a much better proposition

and guys, just like with speedos, dont believe everything that your tacho shows :ohmy:

show me dyno curves with RPM's numbers on the bottom :)

I'll be happy to see the dyno chart of a fast road/track (not drag) 900-1000 motor that peaks after 10K

Larry, have you ever seen one? :)

BTW, my worry wouldnt be pistons coming apart, but running two rings / very high domes.

My 750/810, being a big bore is bound to peak at lower rpm than a 716. do you have a dyno chart showing peak hp @ 10.5 or is it feel of the pants?. its got andrews #35 cams BTW.

I am pretty sure that there are plenty of huge valved drag motors that can peak higher for 10 seconds, but not quite relevant for MTB's fast road track intentions.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 08:41 #548606

• Powerstroke_fan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 83
I am sure people do run there bikes and make power above 10k. But If your that worried about revving that high and possibly doing damage a expensive built motor, wouldnt be smarter to buy diffrent cams to move the powerband down some? So the motor isnt tached so high, Talking street riding, not dragracing at the strip.
1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 13:33 #548637

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
if u dont plan on racing, then a bigger bore is in order. it will help u take advantage of newer flatslides, that r only available in larger bore sizes. keep the compresion at 10.25:1 and it will be much more user freindly. pump gas is easy to find, and u will need a refill every hour and a half(100 miles).
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 15:19 #548649

• mtbspeedfreak
  • mtbspeedfreak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I really appreciate all of the feedback, but I don't want to go the big-bore/low-end torque/stump-pulling cams route; that's not "true" to the bike. If I were making a street bike, I'd most certainly be going that route, but that's now what I have in mind for this build. This is NOT a regularly driven street bike.

I'm also not worried about damaging anything at high RPMs because I will have built the engine to run at high RPMs. If I'm willing to spend two grand on crank work (emphasis on WORK, I don't even get a new crank out of the deal) and rods, don't you think I will have put an appropriate amount of time into properly researching my valvetrain, modifying oil passages/pump, and setting up piston/valve clearance? Additionally, I'd be running an electronic tach, not a mechanical tach; with a Dyna2000, which has a limiter on it.

The Yosh pistons I have are 10.8:1 compression, so it's fine to run premium spiked with additives, especially considering it's not going to be frequently used.

I also completely understand the warnings regarding the 2 piston rings, but why is a high piston dome an issue? Other than valve clearance and compression of course.
2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 15:20 #548650

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
If you don't mind me asking Mark, how many times a month are you out on your KZ [it's an 1197, no?]? What compression are you running? Do you have 93 octane up there, or just 91?

How many other of you have bikes with extensive engine work that you ride? How frequently do you ride? I have a stock 903 that I ride everyday, when/if I do any engine work to it, it will be minimal as I don't want to lose ANY streetability.
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 15:27 #548651

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User

turboguzzi wrote: and guys, just like with speedos, dont believe everything that your tacho shows :ohmy:

That reminded me, I've been meaning to hook up my cable to an electric drill and get creative with photoshop.
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 14 Sep 2012 18:45 #548682

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
I'm headed out of town this weekend, but I wanted to get this article uploaded so you can check it out. Hope you enjoy!

MMS_0920 by mmsmithgall , on Flickr

MMS_0921 by mmsmithgall , on Flickr

MMS_0922 by mmsmithgall , on Flickr

MMS_0923 by mmsmithgall , on Flickr
2000 ZRX 1100

Last edit: by mtbspeedfreak.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 17 Sep 2012 04:50 #549188

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
"but why is a high piston dome an issue? "

Pretty old school, no detonation preventing squish band.

If i was you, i'd rather take "Cycle" mag's story on Muzzy's work on the 1000 (and 750 too) as a reference..... with all due respect to Art Friedman, he was never too technical, Kevin Cameron was way better in explaining Muzzy's tunning approach in detail.

info might not be exactly period for the bike by a 2-3 years but muzzy deployed much more advanced tuning techniques to the kawi fours.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 17 Sep 2012 13:34 #549246

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User

turboguzzi wrote: If i was you, i'd rather take "Cycle" mag's story on Muzzy's work on the 1000 (and 750 too) as a reference..... with all due respect to Art Friedman, he was never too technical, Kevin Cameron was way better in explaining Muzzy's tunning approach in detail.

info might not be exactly period for the bike by a 2-3 years but muzzy deployed much more advanced tuning techniques to the kawi fours.

I did a quick search but was unable to find that article, any chance you have it or could give a little bit more information so I can hopefully look it up?

Thanks!
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 17 Sep 2012 13:38 #549249

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

turboguzzi wrote: "but why is a high piston dome an issue? "

Pretty old school, no detonation preventing squish band.

If i was you, i'd rather take "Cycle" mag's story on Muzzy's work on the 1000 (and 750 too) as a reference..... with all due respect to Art Friedman, he was never too technical, Kevin Cameron was way better in explaining Muzzy's tunning approach in detail.

Flatter piston dome promotes better flame travel/easier combustion B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.