Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 12 Sep 2012 18:30 #548291

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Good luck. You know we here at kzrider.com are all on board with seeing this project through with you! :)

Fujio Yoshimura I believe still runs Yosh in Japan and he knows Z1s.

I ordered lots of Z1 parts when I lived on Maui. Then I moved to Los Angeles in the mid-1970's and when I needed more hot-rod Z1 parts, I would simply drive over to North Hollywood to Yoshimura R & D to get some. After I introduced myself on my first visit, Pops and his son Fujio immediately remembered me as the guy from Maui who purchased loads of their parts.

One Saturday afternoon I stopped by Yosh R & D to shoot the bull and Fujio invited me into his dyno room to checkout the results of some dyno runs he had made for a few customers' Z1 motors. One run caught my eye: 124 hp on a Z1 with Yosh 987 cc piston kit, Bonneville cams, ported head, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BohicaBob.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 12 Sep 2012 22:39 #548338

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Mark, what do u plan to do with this bike when finished? race , road , both??
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 12 Sep 2012 23:49 #548374

• mtbspeedfreak
  • mtbspeedfreak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36

BohicaBob wrote: I contacted Yosh R&D in California via email this morning with the question:
"Can you get such parts from Yosh Japan to the US? Like the Yosh Z1/Z2 ST-L2 Camshaft for example?"

Here's the answer I just got via email this afternoon:
"Hi Bob,

Thank you for your interest in Yoshimura. Yes we can order you anything from Yoshimura Japan just let me know exactly what do you need (Yoshimura Japan website has part numbers) and I’ll be glad to contact Yoshimura Japan for pricing and availability.

Note: Yoshimura Japan orders require a 50% nonrefundable deposit and price is subject to change upon receiving, normally Yoshimura Japan orders take 3-4 weeks to get here.

Thank you.

Danny D.
Sales Representative
Yoshimura R & D of America, Inc
5420 Daniels St.
Chino, CA 91710"

Also Bob, the Yosh parts can be purchased from Web!ike in Japan . I'm going to email Yosh R&D to see how their prices compare. Then yen/dollar rate makes it prohibitive to purchase nearly anything from Japan, maybe the prices are somewhat adjusted if purchased through Yosh R&D?

...wishful thinking :woohoo:
2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Last edit: by mtbspeedfreak.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 02:34 #548411

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User

mark1122 wrote: Mark, what do u plan to do with this bike when finished? race , road , both??

That's the million dollar question Mark! ;)

This will not be a bike I ride regularly, whether it's to a bike night or on the track. If I took it to the track, I wouldn't "race" it, maybe make an appearance at Vintage Days, or do a track day or two.

I'm thinking of a similarities to a rare, high-performance muscle car: '68 GT500 KR, '70 Hemi 'Cuda, COPO ZL1 Camaro. They can be driven and can be raced, but you don't... right?

As far as gasoline goes, high-test with additives. I'm only running 10.8:1 compression, so that's streetable.
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 07:51 #548420

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

mark1122 wrote: Mark, what do u plan to do with this bike when finished? race , road , both??

And the winner with the most important question is :side: Mark!

The single drawback to everything is pretty simple...it's called pump gas ;)
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 14:56 #548465

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
nice stash of parts you have now :)

but for once i'll agree with wireman,

unless you are building this to be raced legaly in something like AHRMA heavyweigh SBK, leave those two ring / high crown / no squish pistons alone, nice period pieces. get a current big bore kit ( that you can also find parts for later) cams and carbs are actually usable

didnt quite get how you plan fitting those rods on a one piece crank though... :unsure:

11-12K? my full race tune 90hp 750/810 with way shorter stroke peaks at 9500 and runs out of puff by 10k... but what do i know?

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 14:59 #548467

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

turboguzzi wrote: nice stash of parts you have now :)

unless you are building this to be raced legaly in something like AHRMA heavyweigh SBK, leave those two ring / high crown / no squish pistons alone, nice period pieces. get a current big bore kit ( that you can also find parts for later) cams and carbs are actually usable

didnt quite get how you plan fitting those rods on a one piece crank though... :unsure:

11-12K? my full race tune 90hp 750/810 with way shorter stroke peaks at 9500 and runs out of puff by 10k... but what do i know?

900/1000 cranks are pressed together,not one piece like 650/750 cranks .
Thats how they make roller bearings work on them instead of inserts B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 15:02 #548468

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
I was wondering when you were going to thank turbo's post! You had a 5 minute delay though, gotta step it up! ;)
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 15:12 #548472

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User

turboguzzi wrote: nice stash of parts you have now :)

Thanks Turboguzzi! I've been following your stuff for awhile now, you've been a good waste of time for me. :P

Thanks for the suggestions on the pistons. I'd really, really, really love to use them, but I'll be honest, piston design, as far as the material and creation process has evolved so much in the last 30 years since they were made. I figured those would be the weak spot no matter what. Last thing I'd want would be for a piece of Yosh bling to catastrophically blow up wrecking my 2k crank and rods and Larry C. porting job. I'm definitely weighing other options.

Yosh still makes a 69mm piston (810cc)
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 16:58 #548489

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
turboguzzi what cams are you running? My little 716 makes 85 HP and peeks out at 10,500 rpm. Mark I wouldn't worry about the pistons coming apart, I've run Yosh pistons on the street for over 20 years.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 17:39 #548494

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User

Mark Wing wrote: turboguzzi what cams are you running? My little 716 makes 85 HP and peeks out at 10,500 rpm. Mark I wouldn't worry about the pistons coming apart, I've run Yosh pistons on the street for over 20 years.
Mark

Are you running 2-ring slipper pistons, Mark?

I figure with the right bore coating it's definitely possible. All the 600s/1000s these days have slipper pistons from the factory. Heck Yoshimura makes a gixxer kit that raises compression to 14:1!!!
2000 ZRX 1100

Yoshimura R&D Superbike 13 Sep 2012 17:55 #548497

• OldSchoolZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
In regards to high rpm. I rode a Z1R years ago that was lightly bored and mostly stock minus valve spring, retainers ad valves. It had huge cams in it. Even the valve cover was grinded for clearance, shim under buscket.
The power came on at 9K and would light up the tire from 9k-13k. It was insane. :woohoo:
3rd gear when power came on simply lit the rear tire up and pulled like a freight train.
How long that motor would last, might be a different story though. :laugh:
I can more specifics on that motor is anyone wants them.
I'm stiil in touch with Jay in Houston. He owns JB Cycles and does a lot of turbo work and insane modding.
His goof around bike is an 86 GSXR1100 fuel injected. :cheer:
Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

Last edit: by OldSchoolZ.