Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ200 Ignition coil 17 Mar 2024 10:10 #896520

• DanielFerret
  • DanielFerret's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got a 1979 KZ200 and I think the ignition coil is toast.

Original coil from the looks of it. So I'm guessing it's about time to replace her. I already replaced the starter relay and put in a new battery but I've had no luck.

Found a few OEM Ignition coils off of yet they're all from Singapore or Indonesia asking for a minimum of 100 bucks and won't get to the States till early may / late april

Found a few cheaper ones but a little hesitant on biting the bullet on a cheaper part

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ200 Ignition coil 17 Mar 2024 20:51 #896545

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2068
Are you sure it is bad? That is a pricey part to replace if there is no need.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 05:29 #896554

• DanielFerret
  • User
I ran a multimeter through it and nothing came up unless I did it incorrectly. Be willing to try it again to test it if there’s the right way

anyways, I tried kickstarting and electronic ignition but a spark doesn’t come out even with a plug or having a screwdriver in the cap that’s why I’m assuming it’s the coil. Plug originally had some carbon fouling but I doubt it was the main culprit 

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 06:27 #896555

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Coils rarely fail.  I can't say what's going on with your bike, but other parts in the ignition system, like the ignitor, is more likely to cause problems as compared to the coil.  

Edit: my ignitor comment is in relationship to yours about "electronic ignition."  On further review, looking at Partzilla, it seems that your bike has a points ignition.  

Have you checked the points?  Cleaned them and set the gap?  

Points ignitions typically use coils with primary resistance in the range of 3.5-5 ohms.  You can get coils like off Amazon for dirt cheap.  Coils are simple devices.  There is little value in paying over $100 for an OEM coil.

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 06:51 #896559

• DanielFerret
  • User
That’s what I was saying, 100 bucks for a coil seems frivolous and I rather assume it’s a simple fix instead of dumping cash on uneccessary parts.

i haven’t thought of the ignition points I’m confused where exactly on the bike it’s on I’ll need to have a glance at the manual to see 

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 07:09 #896560

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
When you checked the coil were using an ohm (resistance) setting on your multi meter?  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 07:25 #896561

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

That’s what I was saying, 100 bucks for a coil seems frivolous and I rather assume it’s a simple fix instead of dumping cash on uneccessary parts.

i haven’t thought of the ignition points I’m confused where exactly on the bike it’s on I’ll need to have a glance at the manual to see 

Yes, looking at the manual would be a good idea!    Points are a wear item.  Find the maintenance schedule, and then go down the list.  Do everything!  Things like cleaning the carb won't be on the schedule, but it should be done straight away.  Along with cleaning the fuel tank, and checking the petcock.  All this and more is referenced in the New Owner Things To Know thread linked in my signature.

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 07:46 #896564

• DanielFerret
  • User
Yea it read 0.00 

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 07:54 #896566

• DanielFerret
  • User
Forgot to mention, when I touched the relay with a wrench the bike will start cranking  I thought it was weird I’ll see if I can attach a video to explain what I mean

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 08:17 #896567

• DanielFerret
  • User
Is there a way to upload videos on here?

Last edit: by DanielFerret.

KZ200 Ignition coil 18 Mar 2024 14:49 #896575

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022

Yea it read 0.00 
A coil is basically a transformer.  A few coils on the primary side and many on the secondary side.  The primary side should read 2 to 4 ohms.  The secondary side should be thousands of ohms.  If you measured correctly that means your coil has a short circuit.  It needs to be replaced as you said up front.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Page: