Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Guess a fix !! 04 Mar 2024 12:27 #895952

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1792
It seems that recently we have a few people slipping back into the "guess a fix" when it comes to electrical issues. I do appreciate that to many, electrics is some kind of "alchemy" or "the devils work" but electricity is both logical and lazy (it may no always appear that way !!) but approaching electrical problems with "try this" "try that" "replace everything" will invariably lead to one of the following outcomes
  • You will empty your wallet
  • You will loose your mind
  • You will set fire to your bike
  • Occasionally you might get lucky
If electrics aren't "your thing" (many dealership techs struggle with electrics) I would suggest you read my guide, sit back and think about what is actually happening, look at a wiring diagram and then apply logic. There are a few guys here that are comfortable with electrics and will happily guide you through getting to the bottom of your problems and replacing only what is required. (you just need to be patient for responses as we are all in different time zones)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, TexasKZ, gd4now, blipco, daveo, slayer61, sf4t7, Mikaw and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Guess a fix !! 05 Mar 2024 09:11 #895997

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
I've been an electrician my whole adult life. To me, it's just "connect-the-dots"... a kids game with a way cooler outcome. Wookie has taken the time to detail some of the best troubleshooting techniques used by the best in the industry. Heed his advice and be successful, in less time, and less damage to your wallet.  
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: gd4now, blipco, Wookie58

Guess a fix !! 05 Mar 2024 10:41 #896002

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Lifelong professional electrician here also and I’ve done a fair amount of industrial control work. To me tho, the worst of it is automotive and motorcycles. Nobody maintains their bike’s electrical system until it acts up. (Except for a few of us). Whenever bodywork or the tank comes off I re-secure the wiring (the factory makes harnesses very uncomfortable to make quick assembly possible) and clean and add inhibitor to any connectors.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Guess a fix !! 05 Mar 2024 10:51 #896003

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34
Wookie is an absolutely great guy, an asset to this forum, like a few others, and definitely has $aved me some green~ Many a time, I'll stumble over the very answer to my question, where he's chimed in on others posts. 
1982 KZ1100D1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: