Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 06 Aug 2023 11:38 #887997

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • Dr. Frankenstein's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
I'm figuring out the rat's nest of wires for my '79 KZ400H LTD build and in the parts diagrams, it calls for a 'Battery Gound', part # 26011-1022...my bike is missing this part and it looks easy enough to make (rather than spend $45 on an OEM one) - but where does it attach to...?  There is a big thick wire with a thinner wire atteched to it that plugs in somewhere...does anybody in here have a pic of this ground attached to the battery?  A pic of the whole battery setup would be cool too - the positive lead coming off the solenoid on my bike looks way too short to run around the corner of the battery box and attach to the Positive terminal. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 15 Aug 2023 09:58 #888289

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
I was able to figure it out - now the whole bike lights up, turn signals, etc. but the only problem I think I have is that ground that runs from the Negative battery post to a ground on the frame - won't that make the battery discharge itself pretty quickly? Or do I have this set up wrong? 

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 16 Aug 2023 05:45 #888319

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
The engine and frame are part of the ground circuit.  The grounding lug is on the engine of my 1981 KZ650-CSR.  I would guess any KZ would be the same. When the ignition switch is off and everything is working properly and there are no shorts, then there should be no battery discharge caused by the electrics on the motorcycle.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 16 Aug 2023 05:50 #888321

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1791

I was able to figure it out - now the whole bike lights up, turn signals, etc. but the only problem I think I have is that ground that runs from the Negative battery post to a ground on the frame - won't that make the battery discharge itself pretty quickly? Or do I have this set up wrong? 
For the battery to drain "current" needs to flow. This can only happen in a completed circuit (positive - consumer - ground) so if everything is functioning correctly then with no consumers turned on current can't flow. (no drain)

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 16 Aug 2023 09:32 #888326

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
Typically kz’s have a ground on the engine on the bottom right. But I’ve used the frame as a ground on several of my builds and never had an issue. 
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 23 Aug 2023 05:19 #888601

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
Well here's a neat little development - I went out to keep working on the bike and turned the key switch on, and now my LF turn signal won't light, and the headlight  - an H4 three-prong bulb only, because I haven't found a six-inch headlight anywhere and wanted to replace it with something more modern but haven't yet - won't light as well. However, on the new aftermarket left switch (the horn/Hi-Low beam switch) there is a little doodad labeled 'Passing'...I hit that switch and the headlight lights up! Release it, and the headlight goes out...all the other turn signals, rear brake light and dash lights work, except for the LF turn signal and headlight.   I think it's a ground problem somewhere(?) - and it's worth noting that when I hit the Left turn signal, the Left Rear blinks slower than the right-side turn signals...I put in a new #552 12-volt turn signal relay, but I still have the original Stanley 12-volt flasher, although I think it's dead because it didn't do anything when I tried it, although it 'clicks' when I attached it directly to a battery. What am I missing here...? 

Also, when it comes to the headlight, can I just replace it with a modern LED one, which look pretty cool, or do I have to make any changes to anything?

On a positive note I do have spark, the engine cranks really well and I have monster compression. I haven't measured it yet, but it vigorously blew my finger off the spark holes, a good sign.

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 23 Aug 2023 08:28 #888607

• Wookie58
Attachments:

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 11 Sep 2023 12:23 #889260

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
I figured it out; I studied the wiring diagram and traced everything down to where it needs to go, so now everything lights up as it should, and the bike starts strong. I even discovered the speedometer bulb was dead, so I replaced that while I was in there.  Still, can I just replace the OEM headlight with an LED (which look pretty cool and are Everywhere these days, it seems), or would that be another wiring problem?

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 11 Sep 2023 12:41 #889262

• Wookie58
The LED lamp draws less current so no issues from that side of things, if you are running the stock main beam warning light you should be fine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Frankenstein

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 11 Sep 2023 12:58 #889264

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
Which I am; so, Cool...! Thanks!

1979 KZ400H LTD Battery Ground Location? 19 Mar 2024 10:18 #896623

• ThatYeti
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Any chance you can share which LED headlight you went with?  Looking at options to upgrade mine and hoping for some feedback on what's worked.
'76 KZ400

• Page: