Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 06:21 #897097

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 605
Suddenly feel the desire to clean the keyboard off with soap having typed that.

Anyway, the Valk was given to us, free, & with clear KY title.  It has been parked in an attached garage, un-ridden. since 2010.  slmjim worked with PO's wife for years before retirement.  They both just said  "Come get it.  We'll pay the taxes.  It's yours for the taking.  Wife doesn't Ride, and we just want the garage space back."  They live within 12 mi. from here.

So, here it is:

The OEM keys were a victim of a contentious divorce.  Researching replacement keys are where the locksmith key blanks data handbook we posted elsewhere here came about.  We obtained the key code from the ignition switch that indicated which of two possible mirror-image blanks were correct, gave the locksmith the 3-character code, and $13.00 later had a working key.

1500cc flat-six  'Wing motor & drivetrain.  Naked Standard (not the dressed Interstate model),  Made in USA at the Marysville, OH factory. 47K mi. & change.  Overall in good condition.  Only the lightest of surface rust in a couple of places.  AGM battery is toast, but common & relatively inexpensive.  Tank internals in decent shape with only a few surface rust specks.  Drained a gallon or so of liquid fuel that smelled strongly of varnish.  Petcock works; removed it to drain the tank completely.

Carb internals undetermined.  Opened float bowl drain screws produced no fuel.  Hmmm; might be good, might be bad.  PO doesn't remember if he drained them.  Introduced fresh fuel from our auxiliary tank to check for any leaks in the 'O' rings of the fuel rails of the two, 3-carb banks on either side of the motor. Noticed a leak from a 'T' that's under the airbox immediately downstream from the petcock that splits feed to the two fuel rails on each of the 3-carb banks.  We might have dislodged that hose when we removed the tank.  It's a rats nest of hoses & cables & wiring harnesses in a tight space under there.  Might have to remove the airbox to get to it.  We may still discover leaks at the 'O' rings in the fuel rails between the carbs when we get the feed 'T' reconnected.

Seat latch cable was frozen, a not-uncommon problem with Valks apparently.  Long flat blade screwdriver & some floor-level gymnastcs to get to the latch under the seat got the seat released & a couple days effort has the seat release mechanism working again.

Farkles include aftermarket hard bags, windshield, highway pegs mounted on the caseguards, some auxiliary running & brake lights, passenger backrest & small luggage rack (not installed).  Aftermarket 6 into 6 pipes; we've heard these before in the past on other bikes.  Not particularly loud, but a remarkable exhaust note reminiscent of exotic import cages. OEM tool kit & both owners manuals are present.  Good tread on old tires.

PO used like Ridin'.  He rode it to work often & joyrides evenings & weekends.  Current wife who doesn't Ride & life in general has killed his desire. He sez he wants to hear it run just one more time.

We're not keeping this bike.  Don't want it, don't 'need' it, no room for it.  We're just gonna make it go 'vroom' & off it goes to Mid-Ohio.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

(In the distance we hear slmjim shout)  "Hey, Babe...  Where's the disinfecting spray?  I gotta wipe off the keyboard..."

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 07:05 #897099

• sf4t7
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 252
Don't like them either but at least you can see the motor and it's not disguised as a sofa.   
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 12:04 #897104

• ckahleer
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
No need to clean your keyboard. The Honda Valkyrie was the best looking motorcycle ever made. Massive, chrome covered engine, boldly on display.  Alas, my 70 year old legs, just can't handle the weight of bikes like that anymore. I bought one in 2022, expecting it to be a keeper, but it was just too big and heavy for me. I ended up selling it last spring. I find myself moving to smaller, lighter bikes now.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
Attachments:

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 12:17 #897105

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
Killer machine!  So under-stressed!  I wonder how many miles that thing would run with proper upkeep?  500k miles?  

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 15:36 #897112

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1026
I wouldn't disparage Hondas at all.  When my keyboard is dirty it's usually because I ate a muffin while typing and one of our dogs came by to lick the crumbs up.

This is my answer to aging while biking.  It's a 2006 Goldwing with a Daytona 2+2 sidecar for canine riders.  The cool part is when I arrive at a stop sign and don't have to put my feet down.  I never use the radio or CB but damn that cruise control is nice on the wrist!  Beats a Z1 by 1.6 kilometers!  But I will admit to frustration over simple replacements like an air filter.  Last winter it took several days to dismantle the plastic in order to reach the air cleaer element and another couple of days to put everything back together.  With 264,000 kilometers on the engine it's just over its half life, so I think it will last me well into my 90's.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 17:39 #897117

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User

No need to clean your keyboard. The Honda Valkyrie was the best looking motorcycle ever made. Massive, chrome covered engine, boldly on display.  Alas, my 70 year old legs, just can't handle the weight of bikes like that anymore. I bought one in 2022, expecting it to be a keeper, but it was just too big and heavy for me. I ended up selling it last spring. I find myself moving to smaller, lighter bikes now.

The older slmjim gets, the taller & heavier our ST1300A gets.  This is the second ST1300 we've had over the past 18 yrs.  It & the Valk are within about 30 lbs. of each other.   We've made noises at each other about a CanAm tourer.  That's all so far, just noises.  Fact is, we're in the autumn of our Ridin' years.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 31 Mar 2024 17:56 #897118

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
The dislodged host on the main fuel 'T' slipped on fairly easily using long, right angle needle nose pliers, then we proceeded to feed gas into it today from our aux. tank.  At least one float stuck, with fuel running out of the float vent rail of the right bank, and fast weeps out of both L & R fuel rail 'T's'.  Bummer.  There's a couple of very good YouTube vids re: R&R and cleaning of these carbs.

Have to rearrange the carb bench a little to accommodate six CV carbs in a wide & deep assembly.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 02 Apr 2024 08:50 #897162

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
I have owned my 03 valk many years and even though I love my kz's,I will never sell my valk
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly E

We have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie 02 Apr 2024 09:10 #897165

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 307
I bet it sounds awesome with the 6 into 6 exhaust system.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

• Page: