Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 17:27 #47246

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
guavatone wrote:

There were strange flakes on metal after my last blow dry - is this avoidable or does it matter?

Probably just odds n' sods flakes of rust that previous flushes didn't wash out.

Anything you get out of it at this stage is one less thing to clog a filter.

I'd pony up a nickle to have seen the inside of that tank before you started the Panama Canal treatment on it - that had to be *one rust-infested mother*. Reading your posts, I got the impression that only paint was holding it together in the first place.

I hope this is it and I can rejet this baby and do some ridin':cheer: B)

Really.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 17:54 #47251

• guavatone
  • guavatone's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No, it actually was not bad at all until it flash rusted and the whole inside was covered. I think I messed up one of the steps to bring this rust about. I think it was when I let the muriatic and water solution sit overnight. Oh, and then my bottom holes seeped overnight, then rain and damp weather in North Jersey and my garage has a leaky roof. all of these seem to be the worst conditions. and my tank sat for 2 years in this garage 1/3 full of fuel before this treatment.

From what I can make the metal is very solid but I am no expert.

1 hour to go

oh, BTW the flakes were grey-metal and not rust color

Post edited by: guavatone, at: 2006/05/14 20:55

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 18:11 #47255

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
guavatone wrote:

No, it actually was not bad at all until it flash rusted and the whole inside was covered.

It *WAS* that bad. It was *ALWAYS* that bad.

And here's why:

...then rain and damp weather in North Jersey and my garage has a leaky roof. all of these seem to be the worst conditions. and my tank sat for 2 years in this garage 1/3 full of fuel before this treatment.

If you wanted to write a *TEXTBOOK* on how to make a tank rust itself into a pile of red dust on the floor, *there's Chapter 1*.

oh, BTW the flakes were grey-metal and not rust color.

Well, since you had already phosphoric-treated the tank, any rust flakes still in there would have turned a nice grey-metal shade by the time they came out...

Follow KZSCI's last intruction, button it up, fill it full of gas (and KEEP it full of gas) and go ride...

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 19:48 #47289

• guavatone
  • User
Well done is done! the only color other than grey is the bottom seam that has a light red line which I think I'll have to live with. I thought about working on some outside/under tank areas but I am sick of these chemicals....and high enough...hopefully this nany seals up for the road since o-rings are a bit larger.

I misunderstood the mushroom coment I think, so now what you are saying is that the rust never leaves but kind of goes into remission from these treatments.

next up, re-jetting and riding. Many thanks to ptr and KZCSI for the advise and encouragement.

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 20:04 #47297

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
guavatone wrote:

Well done is done! the only color other than grey is the bottom seam that has a light red line which I think I'll have to live with.

Pretty much. Just keep it full of gas. If it's gonna sit for an extended period, add a fuel stabilizer additive. That'll slow the rusting process to next to nil. For *years*, if you stay at it.

I misunderstood the mushroom coment I think, so now what you are saying is that the rust never leaves but kind of goes into remission from these treatments.

Actually, I was saying it all along. But yep, that's pretty much the case. Rust is a *microscopic* process that occurs at the crystaline structure level of the metal. You can get %99.99 of it, but you'll play hell getting at that last 1/100 of a %. All you can do is slow it down.

.... Many thanks to ptr and KZCSI for the advise and encouragement.

You're welcome...

Kreem gas tank woes 14 May 2006 23:42 #47316

• guavatone
  • User
sorry, but my woes will continue with "McGuyver this sensor" about my leaky sensor plate ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!