Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 30 Sep 2006 11:36 #80675

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi all, since I wont be driving this fall even If my bike was finished (dislocated my shoulder on tuesday) Im going to put some extra effort into getting the bike exactly they way I want it without rushing to finish.
I was wondering what would be best for the drag strip next spring, the mono shock setup I have, or making it a temporary hard tail at the track. I could make the rear lower by taking the shock out all together and bolting the dog bones to a bracket (yet to be fabricated) Is this a good idea? or should I have some cushion for the launches?(is this much harder on parts?)
thx
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 30 Sep 2006 11:41 #80676

• wireman
  • Visitor
i personally like the shocks myself it makes rear and squat and frontend lighter which transfers weight to back tire.thats just my personal experiance anyway.:whistle:

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 01 Oct 2006 21:10 #81057

• RoadRash
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I found overspin easier to avoid on a softtail but im not a proficient racer, just a part time maniac. If u got the tooling, I would make the bracket and try it both ways.

On a good surface I don't think it will have a significant impact on how fast the bike can go, but like seat, pegs, and grips, when it feels right it affects how fast you can go.

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 01 Oct 2006 22:08 #81066

• 77KZ650
  • 77KZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
RoadRash wrote:

I found overspin easier to avoid on a softtail but im not a proficient racer, just a part time maniac. If u got the tooling, I would make the bracket and try it both ways.

On a good surface I don't think it will have a significant impact on how fast the bike can go, but like seat, pegs, and grips, when it feels right it affects how fast you can go.

I think I will try it, just to see if there is a difference, I definatly have the time to make the bracket between now and spring lol. I dont think I will need a whole lot of weight transfer to get traction anyway. I really doubt that my bike will spin a 190 tire on a hot track sprayed with traction compound. a lower rear makes for easier launches too right?
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 02 Oct 2006 04:04 #81080

• jimmybon
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
what if you have dog bones shaped like < & > out of 7 series alloy, you may then get rigitity & a little bit of comfort at the same vary short time,

question is what angle?
74 Z1A900 original
74 Z1A900 stone replica
74Z1A900 barn find
77 Z650B1 Hybrid
81 z650 PIG camp bike
06 ZRX1200R cafe racer project
S1000xr

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 02 Oct 2006 11:08 #81177

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
From what I've heard, if you're using a street tire stick with an actual suspension. If you're using a slick go ahead with a strut. The reason for the suspension, with the street tire, is 1) for traction and 2) so you don't unload the tire. If you went with a solid rear end and a street tire it is possible to hit a bump and the top end of the track and unload the tire, which could end in multiple results. The street tire won't expand to absorb bumps like a pliable slick will. The ProStar's Pro Street class runs 7.20-7.30's with a working rear suspension. So if those guys can harness 500-600HP with a setup rear suspension, its definitely possible to go 10-11s with a working suspension.
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

hard tail or soft tail for drag racing? 02 Oct 2006 12:28 #81201

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I agree. With a street tire, go with a shock. You can adjust how hard the tire hooks. With a strut, you are completely dependent on the tire for traction but a shock can be set to compensate for traction available on any given day.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

• Page: