Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brakes Seized?!? 30 Sep 2006 08:03 #80632

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Not sure seized is the correct description. The brakes on my LTD900 have been working flawlessly for the last 300 miles since the restoration completed. Then out of the blue today on our way to the Bikes-Blues-Barbeque fest in Fayetville, AR the brakes locked down or applied themselves without human intervention while cruising 60mph. Pulled over. Rotors were hot. Lever was not applied. Brakes were locked on the rotors. Both calipers locked down - not just one. I had to bleed the calipers a little to get them to turn loose of the rotors. Then it drove fine the 2 miles back home. ANY IDEAS what might cause something like this to happen after working flawlessly for 300 miles? Very very weird....
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brakes Seized?!? 30 Sep 2006 08:33 #80643

• wireman
  • Visitor
you never said anything about wanting to ride it after it was done!:S :P just kidding,try bleeding the brakes.then put it on center stand to see if the brakes are releasing ,i wonder if the calipers hung up on slides for some reason and got stuck?;)

Brakes Seized?!? 30 Sep 2006 09:04 #80650

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Air in lines is the usual cause, although a blocked return port in the master cylinder will also cause it.
KD9JUR

Brakes Seized?!? 30 Sep 2006 10:45 #80663

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Steel hit the nail right on the head!

The suggestion of bleeding the air out of the line(s) will definately help.

If you're confident in being able to do it, my best suggestion would be to completely drain out ALL of the brake fluid from the entire system, clean and blow through the lines and fittings using compressed air (make sure you have an inline seperator to keep from blowing moisture from the compressor in there), and just start from scratch. That way you eliminate any chance that there's moisture in there as well causing the problem.
You should also examine and clean the caliper pistons, pins that the calipers slide in, as well as the master cylinder like suggested. That way you can make certain that there's nothing blocking or causing them to stick and creating the problem you're experiencing.

You could also send a U2U to KZJohn. He was/is also dealing with this same issue on his 900, and might have some additional ideas/suggestions to help you.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Brakes Seized?!? 01 Oct 2006 12:28 #80945

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks everyone. I bled the system, but not completely dry. Symptoms and problem is no longer there. And has been riding fine. Just a little un-nerving. We'll see how it goes.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

• Page: