Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 13:52 #71622

• ronjones
  • ronjones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I've got several cans of break fluid. All have been opened at some point, some have more fluid in them than others. I have no idea how old any of them are, at least several yrs. My bike hasn't been run in 11+ yrs, when I started my rebuild there was fluid still in the system. Haven't reuilt the master cylinder but have replaced the main mc seal/gasket. I know that break fluid is cheap, but I have this stuff on the shelf and it is here. Can/should I use what I have? Use the can/s that have the most fluid in them (less air)? If not, can I use it to flush the system, or should I just trash what I have and get new? Any thoughts would be appriciated. Thanks.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 14:07 #71626

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Replacing brake fluid/ bleeding brakes is a labor intensive job- in my opinion you would be foolish to do all that work and use old questionable fluid... Buy a new small bottle and ditch all the old stuff... my 2 cents worth...

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 15:11 #71634

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Unless the container has been positively resealed, it's likely that the fluid has absorbed moisture. Brake fluid is too cheap and too important to use some of questionable quality.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 16:12 #71654

• wireman
  • Visitor
brake fluid is cheap,crashing is expensive.buy new fluid!:P

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 16:44 #71664

• ronjones
  • User
Well, there seems to be consensus. Kinda thought this would be the answer. Thanks for the input, I'll be getting new. :)
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 17:42 #71675

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey...move over so I can watch over your shoulder. I'm trying to LEARN something! You do realize guys, that you are my only teachers. I'm mechanical but ZERO experience on bikes. I can tear a washing machine down to individual parts, fix your fridge, build a computer from parts, splint your broken limbs, put out your fire. But I most defintely don't want to hurt my KZ. Sometimes I do make mistakes but on my KZ I'm a movin' mighty slow when it comes to wrenching on her. I want to be sure EXACTLY what I am doing. I read the book ten times lol.:huh:
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 18:46 #71696

• ronjones
  • User
I'm kinda the same way, pumps. Generally If I can take it apart, I can put it back together again. Finding this place as a resourse has been priceless. There are quite a few differences between working on cars and bikes and I want to be sure that I put this bike back together again right.
Thanks for the help, guys

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 19:42 #71716

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
A good rule of thumb is to never compromise on your tires or brakes--they are your lifeline on a bike followed by your controls and lights to be seen and warn other motorists. All should be in good repair.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Break Fluid 22 Aug 2006 21:04 #71732

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah that was beaten into my head at a ery young age .it dont matter how fast it is if you cant stop it and steer it!;)

• Page: