Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 19:06 #66808

• MrPrentiss
  • MrPrentiss's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I got the bike on the road finally, and have had a great time so far. The chain on it is pretty old and gnarly, but then so is the bike. So I rode it for some time and the chain loosened up, no big deal a quick tighten and back on the road. rode some more and it was loose again. hmmm old chain- probably needs replacement says I and tightened it again. Ride some more and brought it home for the night, checked on chain tension and Huh? now it's too tight. I thought I torqued it properly but maybe not. Any other reasons a chain would get tighter other than poor torque?

Also a second quasi related question, my front tire has some cracks in it from it being the oem tire from 1982 which do I replace first (money is an object) the chain or the front tire? cheers B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 19:14 #66812

• bobthebike
  • User
I've always heard that having a front tire blow is more controllable than the rear. So if you chain wraps the wheel, you might have some more trouble keeping it up. On the other hand, blowing the tire cost-wise will just cost a tire, tube, and a new set of underwear. Wrapping a chain is bound to cause substantial collateral damage along w/ the aforementioned undergarment. Your choice! ,BK

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 20:31 #66835

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
If the chain you have is obviously worn, it's guaranteed that the sprockets are worn as well.
Installing a NEW chain on WORN sprockets is a total waste of money, since the worn sprockets will chew up that chain fairly quickly.
Having a chain break while riding has been known to do some serious damage to an engine, sometimes to the point of trashing the crankcase. Not to mention I heard where a rider had a chain tear the back of the calf wide open on his left leg. :blink:
Granted that's a worst case scenario, but not one I'd want to push the law of averages on.

Now having a tire blow out on you due to age/weather cracking is not a fun thing. Whether it's the front or rear tire that blows really doesn't matter IMHO, you're still going to swerve until you can stop the bike.
If it's while riding in traffic, you could end up bouncing off of a few cars/trucks (or end up under one :pinch: ) before you can safely come to a stop.

Although a new front tire (about $80 mounted and balanced) is slightly cheaper than a new chain and sprockets (roughly about $120), I personally wouldn't ride a bike in that condition without doing both repairs.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 20:41 #66840

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Front tire blowout got me a trip to the Emergency Room, rear tire blowout was merely exciting.

It's unsafe to ride in it's current condition, medical care is expensive and getting hurt is painful :)
KD9JUR

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 20:54 #66843

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Chains do not wear equally over length. One section could be real loose the next section real real loose or not at all.

chain mystery 02 Aug 2006 21:58 #66856

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Chains do not wear equally over length. One section could be real loose the next section real real loose or not at all.

I think this is the best theory yet. I had yet to think of this until you reminded me. The book will usually tell you to find the tightest portion of the chain and adjust from there.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

chain mystery 03 Aug 2006 05:00 #66876

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
While it's all good info Retro is giving you golden advice. Fix both tires and the chain. I don't know how old you are but unless you want the life altering "Damn I guess I'm not Superman!" or "The grass looks funny from this side!" you don't mess with bad tires. I've had blowouts on both front and rear. I found the bike more controlable when the back went down. When the front lost it I applied the brakes and the weight shift made the bike take over on it's own "I'm going here and there is nothing you can do about it AND I don't care if it's a car, guardrail or cliff that happens to occupy that spot right now!". I have heard stories of chains balling up on the countersprocket and doing nasty things to bike and legs but I have never encountered a first person narrative. I do know someone who recently snapped a faulty masterlink and laid the chain on the street with very little consequences. As for the Superman Life Event I think everyone goes through it the question is did you survive it and with how much damage! I have a pocket full of Kryptonite!:sick:

chain mystery 05 Aug 2006 15:01 #67337

• MrPrentiss
  • MrPrentiss's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hmm sounds like fixing both is a good idea. truth is the chain doesn't seem all that bad and The front has some cracks. I don't really ride the thing to go anywhere and seldom take it on the highway. it's just for an hour cruise here or there when I get a chance.
any way they will get fixed next check.

I took the drivers license test on it last month and while other folks were having a rough time ( 6 people failed before i took the test) They couldn't keep their R1's and big cruisers in the box. me and my kz with dirt bars had a great time. I think I'll go back on thursdays and rent out the bike to fellow testers.

chain mystery 05 Aug 2006 15:31 #67343

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
MrPrentiss wrote:

"I think I'll go back on thursdays and rent out the bike to fellow testers."

I actually did this, a few times, years ago when I had my CB550. Got $35, and a few chuckles, from the guys w/the new harleys :) :evil:
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

chain mystery 05 Aug 2006 17:56 #67361

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Worn chain is gonna be pretty bad before it gives up. Damaged
chain is a different story. Do check the difference between
'loose' and 'tight' for a given axle position. If it's
substantial then it's likely that the chain sat a long time
in one position, rusting. This may be confirmed by close
visual inspection. The rusty links will be pitted. BAD CHAIN
do not use. If it's evenly worn from use, it's still pretty safe.
WARNING this is my OPINION!!!

Blowout on front tire at speed can kill you fast if you grab
the brakes. Ease off and coast to a stop. It's still gonna be
a handful. I would inspect the chain and replace if BAD. As for
the tire, I would replace it. If you have no $, visit your
local motorcycle tire shop and explain that you will pay them
to mount and balance a good used tire if you can find one in
their used tire pile. Bring in the wheel, not the whole bike.
They will not sell you a used tire but a friendly shop might
be willing to help you pick out a good one if they are not
too busy.

What size do you need?

-Duck

chain mystery 05 Aug 2006 18:11 #67363

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
There is a shop near here who my buddy said told him if he needs a tire and can't afford one, to check back every couple days in the used tire pile. Seems the cruiser RUBS change them pretty quickly. The shop will give him the tire, only charge to put it on.Which is cool. Kinda like recycling huh? Of course his 85 XV1000
virago uses I think a 15 and most on the pile are 16s he said but he will keep looking.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

chain mystery 06 Aug 2006 09:07 #67467

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Replace chain and both sprockets and front tire. I had my front tire blow out years ago and I almost died from the crash. I've had the rear go too but it was controlable. When the front tire blows you cannot control the bike at all. It happens so sudden the handle bars will forcibly turn right or left and no amount of strength will straighten them. The bike ends up crashing really bad.

• Page: