Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 09 Nov 2018 17:18 #793628

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 381

650Dude wrote: well...?

Are you actually getting snippy because no one responded within 2.5 hours?
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 09 Nov 2018 17:45 #793632

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Assuming you have some metal-working, experience just fabricate it.

.100" aluminum angle and pop rivets. Very easy to work and very strong and not too heavy.
The sheet came from somewhere else. It's scrap from something. Might get it on ebay.
Angle and thin gauge sheets can usually be had at Home Depot or Menards.

We slapped this together in a couple hours and it was super strong. I wish I had more photos during construction, but it was done quickly. All we used was a jig saw, drill, maybe a few files and a pop rivet gun.

If you've never cut, ground, drilled fitted metal parts before, then maybe this should not be your very first project.
The Kz650 duck tail is the most iconic, in my opinion, of all of the Kz tails. It is the most artistic so it would be a shame to mess it up. Of the photos in your other thread about this subject, your bike looks way better than the black one you posted.

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 09 Nov 2018 18:08 #793633

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
No difficult, took me anout two hours.

Last edit: by baldy110.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 10 Nov 2018 03:55 #793641

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

baldy110 wrote: No difficult, took me anout two hours.

I kuje your bike, but I want to keep the stock signal lights and tail light. Kinda like this:
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650Dude.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 10 Nov 2018 04:32 #793643

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

loudhvx wrote: Assuming you have some metal-working, experience just fabricate it.

.100" aluminum angle and pop rivets. Very easy to work and very strong and not too heavy.
The sheet came from somewhere else. It's scrap from something. Might get it on ebay.
Angle and thin gauge sheets can usually be had at Home Depot or Menards.

We slapped this together in a couple hours and it was super strong. I wish I had more photos during construction, but it was done quickly. All we used was a jig saw, drill, maybe a few files and a pop rivet gun.

If you've never cut, ground, drilled fitted metal parts before, then maybe this should not be your very first project.
The Kz650 duck tail is the most iconic, in my opinion, of all of the Kz tails. It is the most artistic so it would be a shame to mess it up. Of the photos in your other thread about this subject, your bike looks way better than the black one you posted.

Thanks. A pic from the back would be useful. All I am really looking at is your "bike" and its profle,, not how the tailight has been recessed....

That engine looks like a Kawa Twin. I have one! See below:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 10 Nov 2018 06:33 #793645

• waktaylor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Ill make one for you. Im working on my seat, wiring and what not today.

Last edit: by waktaylor.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 10 Nov 2018 08:02 #793648

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

650Dude wrote: Thanks. A pic from the back would be useful. All I am really looking at is your "bike" and its profle,, not how the tailight has been recessed....

I posted 3 photos. I don't know if you can see the other two, but they show the internal construction a little bit. It is just a plate with a right angle bend at the far end. The tail light bolts directly to the bend at the end. Each side is just a single aluminum angle bar like Martin posted, but I don't think you would need those. The gold plate was the only piece that needed bending and you can see we put a gentle curve on it to mate up with the frame bolts under the seat.

Yes, I've seen your 750 twin and it looks great! I love seeing stock bikes out and getting ridden. (Your 650 is pretty damn nice as is.) The one I posted is a 400 twin and the plastic has a different shape, but the point is fabricating the skeleton underneath doesn't have to be very complicated. The 650 would be easier due to the frame being more complete in back. It is not my bike, and I don't have a way of getting more photos of it.

Here is a buddy's 650 I worked on in a similar fashion. When we were done it still had the full size tail. The next time I saw it, to my horror, he cut off the end of the plastic. Huge mistake in my opinion.
This bike is also long gone.
You can see there is just a simple plate holding the tail light,

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

KZ650 Fender Eliminator..... 10 Nov 2018 10:09 #793654

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

waktaylor wrote: Ill make one for you. Im working on my seat, wiring and what not today.

Awesome. I just texted you this morning to show you what I did with the Dremel and my carbs! I will text you! Im sure I have some 650 parts laying around that you can use too.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

• Page: