Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Lubing the cables 25 Jul 2018 16:54 #787654

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
Yeah ebay seems to be getting more strict about its search results lately.  You can no longer put in partial matches, you have to put in exactly 54011-4005 and then it brings up nine different results including the guy I bought from (who is selling multiple units).  Although apparently I chose poorly because this guy hasn't even generated a tracking number yet. :(

It's funny, my handlebars are just slightly lower than the stock ones, and yet this Motion Pro cable still just barely reached... yet it was supposed to be the same length as the stock for the '81 J1.  I can't imagine how many of these are returned for being too short.

Erg... I was going to stop at the dealer and pick up that chain oil tonight on my way home, but with all the rain I completely forgot.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lubing the cables 26 Jul 2018 09:00 #787684

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
What MotionPro cable did you get? >>> part number = ?
From the mp clutch cable measurements at Z1Enterprises.com:
KZ 1000J = 52.5" L
KZ1000K = 58.5" L
KZ1000P = 57" L

Keep in mind that the ends of a too short cable could bind & break, so turn the handlebars fully lock to lock to make sure the cables aren't binding or anything.

Lubing the cables 26 Jul 2018 10:30 #787693

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
The Motion Pro cable was 03-0006, which was supposed to match the 1000J cable.  However the cable I have (54011-4005) is about 3.5 inches longer than the MP cable when measuring the housing.  I'll try to get a measurement from the original cable when I get a chance, but the OEM cable fit nicely -- enough slack to turn the bars freely but not so much that there were loops hanging out anywhere.

Ebay seller sent me an email yesterday -- out on vacation but will try to have someone else ship the cable on Thursday.  Ugh really?  Probably no chance of seeing it this weekend.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

Lubing the cables 02 Aug 2018 08:57 #788083

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Got the new cable in on Monday but it was raining.  Tuesday I worked on shoving oil down the length of the housing (took quite a bit of work despite working the cable back and forth), got the ends greased and installed it on the bike.  Finally warmed back up again so today I was able to ride in to work.  Woah, with the cable lubed up it is REALLY smooth!  Will have to try and get that done on the throttle cable this weekend.

So I'm finally back in business after missing half a month of riding, and I have a spare clutch cable on hand now.  Thanks again to everyone here, as always you've been a great help!
1981 KZ1000-JK1

Lubing the cables 03 Aug 2018 11:39 #788135

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Just swapped the clutch and throttle cables to new Motion Pro's. I used a syringe to inject oil down the line until it drips at the bottom, then I sprayed a bit of grease in a can / tube and I finished off with some Kawasaki high temp grease. The cables operate super smoothly now.

It made the most difference to the throttle which was very clunky before and now it feels perfect. One of the cables on the old cable was about to break.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green