Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

what I didn't do when I tightened my belt 06 Jul 2006 04:52 #59610

• rickj
  • rickj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
On the assumption that others may learn the way I try to (from OTHER perples mistakes as well as my own) and on the further assumption that I'm not the newest, greenest most inexperienced wrencher/rider (I am close though)I thought I'd share what I neglected to do/know the first toime I adjusted the tension on my belt drive 83 750LTD.

1- I didn't realize that the acceptable range was about a third to three-quarters of an inch slack-deflection. I was at the low end and a bit tight.

2- I didn't loosen the torque link nut before adjusting (nut is behind drum brake adjust rod)

3- I didn't center the brake (is that how you say it?) before tightening everything- with axle barely tightened spin rear wheel and forcefully step on brake. This prevents a spongy brake-which I had! BTW this is a rear DRUM brake.

4- I didn't torque the torque link nut properly (only needs 22 ft lbs) Got the axle nut right at 87 ft lbs.

Well- just thought I'd share- I'm not proud of that- but you-all have been so generous with info it's the least I could do....my next post will probably be a question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what I didn't do when I tightened my belt 20 Jul 2006 16:00 #63457

• paulie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
so here's a question: how'd you get a torque wrench on the axle nut? on my bike the exhaust is in the way - like touching it!! only thing that will fit is a crescent, unless i want to drop the exhaust too.

i'm a little bit nervous riding since i tightened the chain because of this. spec is 72-100ft. lbs, but i just got it "tight" and replaced the cotter pin..

am i ok doing that or should i drop the exhaust to be absolutely sure?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: