Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Trying to Avoid Restoration Gotcha's! 07 Feb 2006 22:36 #22354

• Sorf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Garn wrote:

At the monment I don't know whether to pull everthing off to put the air-box in, or what! Unless, I have a Z1000 air-box and it just don't fit? Somethings wrong.
RegardZ.

GOTCHA!:laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trying to Avoid Restoration Gotcha's! 08 Feb 2006 06:26 #22406

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sorry, can't help Garn... the only factory airboxes I use on any of my bikes are Z1 type. These stuff in before installing the carbs. Put them in with the side connecting to the carbs tilted upwards then just roll the airbox into position. Takes about 30 seconds to put a Z1 airbox in whether it is a KZ900A4 or a KZ900B1 style battery box (I have both). The LTD style battery box lifts from the top as the rear brake master cylinder is in the way and the battery won't slide out to the side like the A4.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Trying to Avoid Restoration Gotcha's! 08 Feb 2006 17:53 #22584

• tfh903
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Garn: After the first one I put in, I just throw'm in a box and love the pods. personal opinion - DELETE
Makes working on things ie: carbs removal/install much easy'er

Trying to Avoid Restoration Gotcha's! 08 Feb 2006 19:04 #22617

• wireman
  • Visitor
i was taking one of 903s dreaded brake pedal springs off my chrome framed bike years ago i had my head down there where it shouldnt of been trying to be carefull not to scratch the frame when all the sudden boom,the meat tenderizer part of the brake pedal came around and slammed me in the side of the head !i thought somebody hit me with a big f-n hammer,be really carefull with that spring!goodluck,happy wrenching! :blink:

Trying to Avoid Restoration Gotcha's! 09 Feb 2006 02:58 #22674

• Sorf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Garn, airbox on Z900 is a major pain.You need to have nice soft carb rubbers and/or heaps of patience!
Z1000 box fits OK, just minor clearance problems for the snorkel, but still a PITA.
It may sound obvious, but check that the carb rubbers are in their right places ie a right hand, a left hand and two centres. When I first bought my bike, I always thought it needed new rubbers as they seemed screwed around, wasn't till I had it off that I realised they were out of order (they're numbered)