Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cranks - Won't start 29 Oct 2006 14:13 #88336

• bullitt00692
  • bullitt00692's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 82 KZ-440 and it won't start. I can crank it all day, but no start.

Plugs, wires and boot has been replaced...

Coil has been check and is good...

Getting sparp to the plug - Crank engine with plug out and saw spark...

Electronic ignition, so no points...

Pulled plugs, and they are wet with gas - Can smell gas, so gas is getting to the cylinder...

So I have gas in the cylinder and spark in the cylinder, but engine is not catching. Shouldn’t the spark ignite the fuel in the cylinder. I let the gas evaporate after I flood it and still no ignition.

I am clearly not a mecanic, but I do enjoy working with these machines, but this one has me stumped.

Can the transistor be the problem and is there a way to test this part?

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cranks - Won't start 29 Oct 2006 15:16 #88346

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Just some off-hand thoughts before the true gurus on this site chime in -- besides spark and good gas, you also need air and compression and proper timing. Let's say the spark intensity is okay. Other items to check would include timing and compression (valve adjustment might improve compression). Old contaminated gas also smells like gas, so be sure the gas is fresh (and also drain any cruddy gas from the float bowls). Check for a clogged or obstructed air filter. Might try spraying starting fluid into the air intake during cranking (please wear goggles) to see if the engine temporarily fires, which may give more clues to cause of the problem. Has the bike been out of use for quite some time? When did it last run okay? Is an in-line fuel filter being used? Application of a good spark at the right time to a correct air-fuel mixture under compression should result in the cylinder firing. If the carbs are all clogged up from deteriorated gas, they will most probably need a good cleaning. Hope this may give some food for thought toward identifying the problem.

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/10/29 18:19

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/10/29 18:20
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Cranks - Won't start 29 Oct 2006 15:38 #88351

• bullitt00692
  • bullitt00692's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply - I did take the carb off the bike and cleaned it out and removed the in tank fuel filter and cleaned it out (no rust or durt in the filter) and replaced the gas and I put a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank.

I also have a new air filter.

The bike was sitting for a while, but I pulled it out a few months ago and actually got it running. Not good, but it was running for a few days, and then it just stopped. Now I can crank it but will not fire.

I have not put it thru a compression test yet, but when I crank it with the plugs out, I get compression - Not sure how much thought.

• Page: