TOPIC:

Points Dwell & Timing Settings 13 Sep 2006 06:31 #76341

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
loudhvx wrote:

bemoore wrote:

New question: Should there be any arc'ing across the points? I thought it was the job of the condensor to eliminate that, so the arc'ing I'm seeing makes me think my condensors are bad.<br><br>Post edited by: bemoore, at: 2006/09/12 20:38

The condenser doesn't entirely eliminate the arcing. If it's arcing a lot, then maybe they're bad.

If you are interested in tinkering, I have plans for an electronic ignition which uses the points as a trigger. You'll still need new points, but they will last indefinitely. The ignitors cost about $15 each at parts stores.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html

The alt-0176 doesn't seem to work for me... probably some setting I need to fiddle with.

Thanks. This looks like just the ticket for getting my CX500 motor going. Will have to look at pulser output to turn it into HEI trigger. Do you have any specs for the HEI input? Does it trigger on the edge or the level(does it have any debounce build in? If so, how long must the level remain or 'average' low?
-Duck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points Dwell &amp; Timing Settings 13 Sep 2006 09:10 #76384

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Duck wrote:

Thanks. This looks like just the ticket for getting my CX500 motor going. Will have to look at pulser output to turn it into HEI trigger. Do you have any specs for the HEI input? Does it trigger on the edge or the level(does it have any debounce build in? If so, how long must the level remain or 'average' low?
-Duck

Using the HEI with stock pulsers requires a lot of info on the pulser's output. Most pulsers are actually reluctors, that is, basically a tiny AC generator. The real issue is how the dwell is handled. The HEI has a dwell compensation feature which can mess things up. With the KZ, I don't use the HEI's dwell compensation at all.

The details are here. Click on my notes for the HEI to get details on how it works.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

I have received a lot of emails on using the HEI modules with Honda reluctors from the early 1980's, but I can't get any reliable data from the emails. I really need to get a Honda reluctor to study it's signal. Then I'm sure I could figure out a good circuit. The Honda reluctor is different from that of the KZ, so the circuit may be different from the one I describe for the KZ.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/09/13 12:20

Points Dwell &amp; Timing Settings 13 Sep 2006 16:46 #76548

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Hound me a little when I get back from road trip on the 26th and I'll hook a scope up to the cx500. I do not have an ignitor for it but should be able to get you a waveform with a few different loads. I'm pretty absent minded with all the packing and work on the house and trying to squeeze in some wrench time so will NEED a few reminders...

-Duck

Points Dwell &amp; Timing Settings 13 Sep 2006 20:03 #76591

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks Duck!

• Page: