• Page:

TOPIC:

Starter magnets loose 11 Jul 2018 17:07 #786810

• One1
  • One1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR
  • Thank you received: 3
Hey guys! My starter began operating intermittently and i removed it today for a look. The magnets on the can are loose and spinning freely, rearranging themselves. As you can imagine, results are not favorable. I don't know how they were originally held in place, nor do i know the exact placement of them in the can. Do i have options on reattaching them to the can or must I replace the starter? The commutateur is in good shape and brushes have life on them. It would be a shame to replace it, but I've not ran into anyone that has fixed this issue.

Vulcan 750, KZ750, KLX 125, and many more......
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by One1. Reason: Typo

Starter magnets loose 11 Jul 2018 17:11 #786812

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2648
Don't they have windings?
Steve

Starter magnets loose 11 Jul 2018 17:14 #786813

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

SWest wrote: Don't they have windings?
Steve

Some starters use electromagnets, but his appear to be solid permanent magnets.

Starter magnets loose 11 Jul 2018 18:31 #786823

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1927
I would degrease the can and glue the magnets back in place and separate them with some spacers, give it a try. You can´t lose nothing.

Starter magnets loose 11 Jul 2018 22:34 #786838

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Scirocco wrote: I would degrease the can and glue the magnets back in place and separate them with some spacers, give it a try. You can´t lose nothing.

Exactly! He can estimate / measure the positioning using the laminated core on the armature and position them so that the long bolts can still pass through to bolt it together. I assume the spacing would be the same on both sides.

A good cleaning and some JB weld, and they will never come loose again. :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Starter magnets loose 13 Jul 2018 10:59 #786895

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR
I didn't know with the heat if the magnets would stay put with jb weld. Guess they might. 

Starter magnets loose 13 Jul 2018 13:23 #786905

• old_kaw
  • User

One1 wrote: I didn't know with the heat if the magnets would stay put with jb weld. Guess they might. 

This is my rotor magnet that broke when I had to fix my starter clutch a few years ago. The grey stuff is JB weld. I replaced the stator a few months ago and the rotor magnets looked the same as when I took this pic.

JB weld is a 2 part epoxy, so I imagine it will hold up better than any 1 part tube adhesive. There is also magnetism that helps to stick things together.

Decide for yourself.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Starter magnets loose 15 Jul 2018 19:17 #787017

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR
Please tell me I'm not going nuts. I thought i had a bad one way bearing, but i swear the starter is running backwards. It's turning forward towards the magneto. Engine rotation is towards the back of the bike, "to the right", correct?  I have a crack in one of the 2 magnets and i think it's reversing polarity. 

Unfortunately everything is lined up correctly and i can't think of a way to reverse the internal polarity as it all notches into place. I guess this crack has forced me to buy another starter. 

s20.postimg.cc/jrhcynil9/20180715_180316.jpg

Last edit: by One1.

Starter magnets loose 15 Jul 2018 22:57 #787023

• old_kaw
  • User

One1 wrote: Please tell me I'm not going nuts. I thought i had a bad one way bearing, but i swear the starter is running backwards. It's turning forward towards the magneto. Engine rotation is towards the back of the bike, "to the right", correct?  I have a crack in one of the 2 magnets and i think it's reversing polarity. 

Unfortunately everything is lined up correctly and i can't think of a way to reverse the internal polarity as it all notches into place. I guess this crack has forced me to buy another starter. 

s20.postimg.cc/jrhcynil9/20180715_180316.jpg

Wow, that starter sure is running backwards. I would double check the brush orientation to the armature. If you reverse the polarity on a permanent magnet DC motor, you also reverse the rotation.  
 I doubt the crack is causing this, since the magnetic lines of force would still orient in the same direction. Not so sure if switching the magnets themselves would cause this. 
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Starter magnets loose 16 Jul 2018 00:39 #787024

• old_kaw
  • User
I googled permanent magnet DC starter motor running backwards, and ran across this post made by some guy named Ebb's Speed Shop.  I did not post this, but I did copy / paste it here.

A little side note: A lot of DC motors are optimized to run one direction, and are built based on the RPM the motor is designed for. DC motors have "timing" believe it or not. The timing is related to the position of the permanent magnets to the armature, and of the brushes to the commutator. Ideally, you want the magnetic flux in the armature to peak right when the poles of the armature are in the midst of the strongest part of the permanent magnet's flux field. So there is a little "advance" built into this timing, since it does take a short time for the flux to build in the armature. Now if you take this same motor and reverse the polarity, it will run backwards, but it will not produce the torque nor the speed that it does when running in the "proper" direction.

This is the thread: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/can-...ors-polarity.259628/

And yet another copy / paste from the Rad One:  (note, I did not edit all the typo's, but chrome did highlight them all for me.) :-)

Most DC motors I've messed with will turn the other way when reversing the polarity. But to get the same torque or rpm in the reverse direction you have to be able to adjust the timming. Timming is the relationship between where the brushes come in contact with the commutator segments to where the field coil reacts with the armuture windings. The starter bellhousing were the brushs sit must be able to rotate to do this and all of them are fixed with index notches and bolts.

Link to the thread: forum.miata.net/vb/archive/index.php/t-104550.html

It sounds to me as if the magnets are not in their exact positions, because everything else is set with notches and pins to locate them in relation to the armature and magnets. 
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Starter magnets loose 16 Jul 2018 01:18 #787025

• old_kaw
  • User
Another copy / paste: 

RailmanJD318 had the answer: 

The magnet polarity probably got reversed. Is the can portion the same either way 
(180' rotation)? If so, put back together 180 deg from where it's at now. 
Joe

In_Exile got it working again.. magnets were backwards: 

After doing research, sounds like things like this can change polarity. I shaved the key off the outside of the case, flipped the case/magnet around, put her back together and vwalaa, new starter. I think in screwing with starter I changed the magnetic poles. Same as the screwdriver magnetizer/demagnetizer  tool  if you know what that is. Anyhow, learn something everyday.

www.mytractorforum.com/44-small-engines-...spins-backwards.html
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Starter magnets loose 16 Jul 2018 09:29 #787051

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR
Oh it is definitely a Field Effect reversal but these magnets have a glue outline where they used to be and I put them right back where they were when you break a magnet it starts to resist itself whereas it pushes against the break if you try to stick it back together and it changes the polarity of it overall adding a new field in the middle and I think I'm just getting a Field Effect reversal. Since everything has to be notched and Mount inside only one way there's not much you can do after the magnet has switched its polarity. On some DC motors they don't have this voltage stud coming in and you can spin the top around but on these  starter motors those wires come in and they are on that side of the can you cannot spin them around changing the top polarity

Last edit: by One1.
  • Page: