Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 07:24 #762282

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629

Apets1100 wrote: I was wondering the same thing.. especially when I saw that no 12 lumps stator is available on ebay for the B2..
I thought that maby the old stator is a part of the problem, and once I had a new already, why not change it...

If it's not the stock one someone went to a lot of trouble to change it, the cover and rotor. That's whay I'm asking how much it is putting out.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 07:32 #762284

• Apets1100
  • Apets1100's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If it's not the stock one someone went to a lot of trouble to change it, the cover and rotor. That's whay I'm asking how much it is putting out.
Steve

I honestly don't remember exactly Steve, the bike was sitting for the last winter, when R/R broke it was something like 15v.
Tony
GP1100z B2

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 07:43 #762286

• Apets1100
  • User
Can you keep the original cover and change the magneto and stator?
I mean, if sometime I'll need a new magneto, it's an expensive part, will I order the right one? Or I'll order a B2 and it'll not match, like the stator I have...

I'm Tony
Tony
GP1100z B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by Apets1100.

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 08:18 #762289

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Apets1100 wrote: Good morning everybody
Trying to solve my overcharging problem, I bought a new r/r whitch i'll install today.With that, and because there is a new stator hanging around here I opened the left engine case to check the stator and maby replace it. And I came after a strange situation: my new stator is smaler in diameter that the installed one. And I bit different.
My question is, could some previus owner changed the magneto-stator combo with some other bike's different that z1100gp? It's obvious that somebody changed it in the past, you can tell from the three types of bolts in there... The bike came with that stator, it's the first time I open the left case. Pictures of the two as following...

Tony, It appears from your pics the two aren't interchangeable. The bolt patterns are different. Those two bolts look like Honda bolts where Kaw used Allen heads. Testing the three yellow wires while running they should test at 50+ volts A/C between any two of them. 15v is good but bad for the battery. What does your old R/R and rotor look like? If it were me I'd get a new R/R and run it as is while researching and gathering parts to bring it back to stock if it isn't. The R/R should work with either one. PO's suck and this is one reason why.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 08:33 #762292

• Apets1100
  • User
They are not interchangeable for sure Steve. The old stator has outside diameter 104mm while the new one 90mm.
I couldn't use it ifI wanted.. I already bought a new R/R which I'll install Monday evening and see what happens.
Old and new R/R are the same, at least to my eye. No letters on the old one.
One other thing... the old stator has only 2 cables...
Tony
GP1100z B2

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 12:51 #762307

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
A stator with 12 pole pieces (or lumps) is a 1-phase stator, which should have 2 wires.
A stator with 18 pole pieces (or lumps) is a 3-phase stator, which should have 3 wires.
The wires are usually yellow, but older Kz's had pink/yellow/blue wires.

Electrically, you can use the same rotor for both 1-phase or 3-phase stators, but the physical dimensions have to be the same.

A 3-phase stator will require a 3-phase regulator/rectifier, so you will want to check what your new reg/rec has. If it has 3 yellow wires, it is likely a 3-phase reg/rec.

A 1-phase stator can sometimes be used with a 3-phase reg/rec as long as the circuitry is built powerful enough to handle the extra load.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 13:25 #762312

• Apets1100
  • User
Thank you very much for the information. Those are new for me.
I'll check the wires of my new R/R and report.
If the new R/R has 3 yellow, I must buy either a one-phase R/R, or a three phase stator, as I understand.
The think is which part No. I must choose for each one, considering the fact that I don't know if I have the correct rotor.
I assume that I must ask the possible seller to measure the item for me before I buy it,
Tony
GP1100z B2

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 13:53 #762316

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration
Warning: Undefined variable $itemid in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/bbcode/bbcode.php on line 262
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhat is the OD of the stator and the ID of the rotor? Found this.
Steve

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 13:59 #762317

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It won't let me copy and paste the page.
Steve

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 17:32 #762334

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
With the Dyna S using more power than stock, you will probably want the 3-phase system if the old system was marginal. That is, the 3-phase stator and the 3-phase reg/rec.

Does anybody have a rotor from an 1100 that they can measure the inside diameter of?

That would tell you if that 3-phase stator is correct or not. If it is, then I think you are looking for a rotor (aka flywheel) to go with that stator.

I suspect that 3-phase stator you have is wrong. Even the Kz550 stators have an outside diameter of 103mm... much bigger than the 90mm you have. Just for reference, the KZ550 stator ID, at the mating surface is 38.0mm. (The non-mating surface ID is 37.4mm.) The three mounting holes are spaced 41.6mm apart on the Kz550.

No match for stator-magneto combo! 20 May 2017 17:44 #762335

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Right about the Dyna S. 3 ohm coils too added more draw on a already weak system. I went with LED running lights and a HID headlight. I'd go with the 3 phase system.
Steve

No match for stator-magneto combo! 21 May 2017 02:58 #762361

• Apets1100
  • User
Thanks Steve, I'll check it out
Tony
GP1100z B2