Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Honda starter into GPz1100 13 Oct 2013 19:17 #609892

• GPzEric
  • GPzEric's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
I just swapped out the 30-year-old Kawi starter, with a starter made for a Honda CB750, and it's a good mod. The new starter spins it over like I forgot the spark plugs !

My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
(2) 1981 KZ550D1 (GPz) 1 mint, 1 under construction
1983 GS1100E
The following user(s) said Thank You: OnkelB, PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Honda starter into GPz1100 13 Oct 2013 21:55 #609903

• etbike3135
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
Where did you get it? It looks refurbished.
1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

Honda starter into GPz1100 13 Oct 2013 22:01 #609904

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
A previous posting covering this:

Using a stronger Honda starter motor in a Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?

Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks MFolks, Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OnkelB, GPzEric

Honda starter into GPz1100 13 Oct 2013 22:49 #609914

• GPzEric
  • User
The starter came from stockers - per a lead from Mfolks - good $139.00 mod - the one I got was marked .7, yet it has gobs of power.

Trickiest part is spinning around the case to get the wire nut attachment at about 4 o'clock so it clears everything. I pulled off the front end of the new starter and almost dropped the internal bushings from the front end.
My wife asked me if I still loved her - I said "Honey, I love you more than new carburetor boots ! "
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
1983 GS1100E

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 06:18 #609937

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Very good tips, thanks.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 06:25 #609938

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29

MFolks wrote: A previous posting covering this:

Using a stronger Honda starter motor in a Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?

Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks MFolks, Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.

Intriguing!!
Please forgive me for asking what may be obvious ( Im OLD.. thats my excuse) But....what year Honda starter and what year Kawi? have a '75 Z1-B 900 myself...so what year etc. Honda starter would fit mine?
Thanks
TennesseeZ Ed
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 06:51 #609939

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
The earlier KZ900/1000 with kickstart has a two (2) brush starter motor and fitting the later J/GPZ (non kickstart) starter is an upgrade for these as they are four (4) brush.
The .8kw Honda starter is usually a benefit on engines that have had a compression increase or big bore.
All years of KZ and GPZ will take the Honda starter.
The std kz or GPZ starter is good enough though for std engines if kept in good condition.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzEric

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 08:28 #609942

• GPzEric
  • User
zed1015 is correct - the GPz starter had four brushes.

I took mine apart, and it still has plenty of brushes left, good spring pressure on them too, but the commutator isn't shiny copper anymore, it's scorched & black, and I suspect that if I take the starter over to the tool repair shop that the windings have broken down.

The starter I put in has two brushes, where the stocker has four, so we'll see how long it lasts - if I get only 15 years out of it instead of 30 it'll be OK with me -
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
1983 GS1100E

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 08:40 #609945

• zed1015
  • User
The scorching on the commutator is common and usually caused by arcing.
A clean up with emery cloth (or if scored, a light skim on the lathe)and then lightly under cut the mica insulation between the segments should restore proper function.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeek

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 10:39 #609953

• GPzEric
  • User
So whaddya think, do you suppose it's worthwhile to rebuild it, and put it away for down the road ?

I can match up the brushes, and I've got a 6" Atlas Copco lathe in the basement - but if I throw the armature on the growler and it's been damaged by the heat I doubt I could find another one -
1982 KZ1100B2 (GPz)
1982 KZ750R1 (GPz)
1983 GS1100E
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid

Honda starter into GPz1100 14 Oct 2013 15:33 #609990

• zed1015
  • User
Yes! it's worth doing. You have nothing to loose especially if you think it's damaged anyhow.
I've salvaged loads that looked like scrap and wouldn't even turn.
If the commutator is scored then a just enough of a very light skim of the copper segments to produce a clean smooth surface for the brushes to run on then carefully cut back the mica insulation between the segments with a section of fine hacksaw blade.
Flush out the armature and body with brake cleaner then a very light smear of copper grease etc in the plain bearings on reassembly.
The windings rarely burn out under normal use and the usual cause of that is someone using jumper leads from a car battery to start the bike.

Honda starter into GPz1100 18 Nov 2013 09:30 #613356

• Troyn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Cool stuff
1983 kz750 ltd shaft, 4-cyl, stock everything :)

Last edit: by Troyn.
  • Page: