Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 04:34 #772308

• Move0ver
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
so I recently put some SUDCO CR29's on my Z1 and have them roughly dialed in. My mid range is really rich though.

Instead of screwing around with ordering various jets and trying to "eyeball" tune it, I'm just going to get the bike on a dyno this winter and do it right.

That may be your best bet, provided the carbs are clean, to get the carbs set up.

Edit: FYI my main jets at 112 and the slow jets at 52 and my needle is one notch up from the middle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 06:30 #772314

• BOOM_FIST
  • BOOM_FIST's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Move0ver wrote: so I recently put some SUDCO CR29's on my Z1 and have them roughly dialed in. My mid range is really rich though.

Instead of screwing around with ordering various jets and trying to "eyeball" tune it, I'm just going to get the bike on a dyno this winter and do it right.

That may be your best bet, provided the carbs are clean, to get the carbs set up.

Edit: FYI my main jets at 112 and the slow jets at 52 and my needle is one notch up from the middle

Thanks for the info MoveOver! That's what I need....I'm sure OMR had it right too, but I was debating it because of our totally different environmental conditions. He's in AZ while I'm in MD. Where are you located?

So, I'll plug the 52's back in and I actually might raise the needle up 1 notch as well just to see how she does mid-range.
1977 KZ900A5

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 06:48 #772316

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
If 1-2 are good stay with those pilots. The air screw should adjust one size range for now. Check the float level with the clear tube method.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 07:14 #772317

• Move0ver
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

BOOM_FIST wrote:
Thanks for the info MoveOver! That's what I need....I'm sure OMR had it right too, but I was debating it because of our totally different environmental conditions. He's in AZ while I'm in MD. Where are you located?

So, I'll plug the 52's back in and I actually might raise the needle up 1 notch as well just to see how she does mid-range.

I'm in Kentucky.
I will say that I have a burble/pop on decel.

For plugs I've got DENSOW24ESU4030.

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 09:54 #772330

• BOOM_FIST
  • User

SWest wrote: If 1-2 are good stay with those pilots. The air screw should adjust one size range for now. Check the float level with the clear tube method.
Steve

Now my OCD and my mind, or maybe both, are playing games with me...I'm thinking maybe I bumped the floats when I was changing the 52's out with the 55's.....now I'll be checking them again when I swap the pilots back out.

Move0ver wrote:
I'm in Kentucky.
I will say that I have a burble/pop on decel.

For plugs I've got DENSOW24ESU4030.

Ok, I just don't want to be running lean or fouling the plugs out. I'm running NGK B8ES.
1977 KZ900A5

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 11:00 #772339

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
If you think that your carbs suddenly seemed to go to the rich side, there might be a simple reason for that when you have CR carbs. I have had CR's on three of my bikes. Anytime my bike started running different, and my plugs started showing rich in one or two holes. What I found out was that the o-ring around the seat would shrink in size, causing fuel to bypass the needle and seat raising the fuel level in that bowl. I always ran my bikes on either UniCal 76 105 race gas or VP 110 race gas. The stock Keihin o-rings would last about 3 months before they would shrink enough to cause the bike to run rich!!! If you read the Keihin CR manual,, they tell you to drain the fuel from the carbs every time you park the bike. Hell I never did that except on my race bike.

I used to buy those o-rings 20 or 30 at a time from Sudco. How old are the o-rings in your CR's??? Another thing with the CR's is how you set the float height. Before ypou check the float height, you first must angle the carbs 15 to 30 degrees. That takes the weight of the floats off the needle. I have had a real Keihin manual since the 80's. And thats one thing they stress about the floats!!! .
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: badd grammer

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 12:55 #772348

• BOOM_FIST
  • User
That's really interesting Dr. Gamma. I would have never thought of that. I'll definitely check those O-rings out when I'm setting the float height. So, 15-30 degrees set at 14mm. Much appreciated! Learning more and more about these CR's every day.
1977 KZ900A5

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 13:15 #772352

• BOOM_FIST
  • User
What part number spigot should I be running? Motor is stock, running velocity stacks but want to swap to pods, and 4-1 V&H no baffle.

Mine are fairly long and always wondered if that had anything to do with my hesitation when I try and twist the throttle quick from idle. Any input??
1977 KZ900A5

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 13:23 #772355

• Kapahulu
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
What a surprise about the o-rings, one would think the manufacturer would come up with a better solution. The Keihin carbs seem to be highly regarded but I can imagine a lot of other people have run into the "eroded o-ring" problem.
1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 04 Oct 2017 13:45 #772359

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

BOOM_FIST wrote: What part number spigot should I be running? Motor is stock, running velocity stacks but want to swap to pods, and 4-1 V&H no baffle.

Mine are fairly long and always wondered if that had anything to do with my hesitation when I try and twist the throttle quick from idle. Any input??

All the KZ/GPz spigots are about the same length. Sudco's part number for 900's is 020-012 Keihin"s number is 1253-8035 SPIG. Sudco does not list spigots for the 29mm CR's on the 1000's. Since its the same intake ducts on both bikes, the 900 ones would fit and work.,

The needle and seat o-ring is 018-694. Sudco is the master distributor for Keihin in the U.S.

CR's are infinitely adjustable. That means you can change carb components many times before you get it right!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOOM_FIST

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: added something.

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 05 Oct 2017 09:14 #772386

• BOOM_FIST
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote:

BOOM_FIST wrote: What part number spigot should I be running? Motor is stock, running velocity stacks but want to swap to pods, and 4-1 V&H no baffle.

All the KZ/GPz spigots are about the same length. Sudco's part number for 900's is 020-012 Keihin"s number is 1253-8035 SPIG. Sudco does not list spigots for the 29mm CR's on the 1000's. Since its the same intake ducts on both bikes, the 900 ones would fit and work.,

The needle and seat o-ring is 018-694. Sudco is the master distributor for Keihin in the U.S.

CR's are infinitely adjustable. That means you can change carb components many times before you get it right!!!!

LOL! Yes! I'm finding that out QUICKLY! I already have about 6 different sets of jets for each and I'm getting ready to order some O-rings and misc gaskets to keep on hand! I think I'm getting closer each time, but man has this been a headache! Appreciate all the help fellas, you guys are great.
1977 KZ900A5

CR29 jetting and decel backfire 07 Oct 2017 04:39 #772454

• BOOM_FIST
  • User
Got the carbs pulled yesterday and fully inspected them and swapped the 52's back in. The float height was spot on with the exception of 1 being a hair off (suspected I bumped it with my hand) because I swapped the 55's in with the carbs still installed on the bike and the space was very tight. Got the floats all in spec, checked the O-rings and they look brand new.

Plugs cleaned to fine tune the air screws after my ride home from work today. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to adjust these carbs before next riding season!!!
1977 KZ900A5