Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

91 zephyr 750 tank 10 Dec 2023 04:42 #892507

• Robby2894
  • Robby2894's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Anyone have an old tank for a 91 zephyr 750? Doesn't have to be in good condition as long as it isn't past the point of being able to be repaired/restored. Looking for one that is cheap. Dents and some rust is alright. If you do please reply so we can discuss price and to send me some pictures of what you got. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

91 zephyr 750 tank 10 Dec 2023 14:32 #892560

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
Worst case scenario is that you will need to buy a reproduction fuel tank. Webike sells them, although they are not cheap. But if you can’t find anything else, then it’s better than having a bike with no tank.  The Zephyr’s were sold for such a short time in the US, coupled with the fact they rust out almost immediately means you will be lucky to find a usable one.   
japan.webike.net/products/21365497.html
The other option is to silver solder rust holes shut and then RedKote the tank. But if the overflow tube or vapor tube (California emissions) is rusted through, then there is no fix. 
Food for thought. 

91 zephyr 750 tank 10 Dec 2023 14:47 #892561

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
I repaired a hard to find GS1000 tank once that was quite rusty on the bottom.  I silver soldered the holes, to make the tank water tight, but as soon as I started with the phosphate derust sauce, more leaks formed.  It was a game of whack a mole.  Finally, I just taped over the rust holes from the outside, and continued with the derusting until the tank was clean...and holey.  I retaped the holes, and filled the tank with a full can of Caswell's sealer.  That stuff is THICK, and works well for applications like this.  It worked.  The tank was several pounds heaver than new, though, because of the Caswell's stuff.  A fun project...

• Page: