Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FIXED/ NEW QUESTION/loss of power, now its a vw 14 Dec 2006 12:18 #99592

• Sweet Back
  • Sweet Back's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Running out to work so I need to make this quick. While I was riding the other day, the bike just all of a sudden bogged down. I didn't have too much power andit started to sound a bit like a VW. I do have straights on my 96 KZ1000P, but this was ridiculous. I pulled over, checked spark plug wires, seemed ok. I had been in stop and go traffic, thought maybe the heat. I sat for a while and let it cool. Started up, reved high and pushed through the bog to a normal running bike. Tried to get home and about 10 minutes later, same thing. Limped home. Switched out plugs today, not that. I have some extra coils I can put on. Not sure why I feel its that. Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions. It is still boggong, although it does go away, it comes right back. If I don't rev it, it dies. Has very little power.

Post edited by: Sweet Back, at: 2006/12/17 15:53
1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

loss of power, now its a vw 14 Dec 2006 13:01 #99598

• cfendrick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've had bad gas before and after draining the tank and putting in new I was okay. This may not be your problem, but have you gone over your regular tuneup items. Check your air filter and see if it looks okay. Start with the most obvious first. I know it sounds silly, but I always forget that stuff.

Is it a total loss of power or can you isolate it to one or two cylinders? Does one header pipe seem cooler than the others?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

loss of power, now its a vw 14 Dec 2006 13:32 #99602

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I had a similiar problem this summer. I changed my inline fuel filter as I could see some crud in it. I also bought new spark plugs. The bike ran fine afterwards, so I can't say which fix did it. It may have been a spot of bad gas too.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

loss of power, now its a vw 14 Dec 2006 18:28 #99662

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Gas tank vent in the cap may be plugged. As you are riding if it does it again release the cap and see if it corrects the problem. Don't do this with a full tank......
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

loss of power, now its a vw 17 Dec 2006 13:00 #100151

• Sweet Back
  • Sweet Back's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's what happened, and I'm just curious if this makes sense.

I replaced the plugs with no effect. What I did notice though is that when I pulled the cables from the left side coils of the plugs with the bike running, there was no affect on the motor. I checked the gas tank vent, still ran bad. I pulled the tank, and gas was flowing fine. I ran the bike with no tank, still crappy. I checked the coil situation again, same result. SO I pulled out the elctrical harness I bought on Ebay, a well spent $35, replaced the left side coil, and so far, so good. I'm gonna take it out for a ride, but it is definitely running strong in the garage. I did notice however, some white smoke. Gonna go for a ride, I'll update,BUT, does this make sense, these chain of events and the issues I came across? Thanks.
1996 KZ1000P

loss of power, now its a vw 17 Dec 2006 13:36 #100153

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Head gasket?

Does it run fine when it's cold,and then runs worse when it warms up?...
1977 KZ1000 A-1

loss of power, now its a vw 17 Dec 2006 14:32 #100155

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Sweet Back wrote:

...when I pulled the cables from the left side coils of the plugs with the bike running, there was no affect on the motor...replaced the left side coil, and so far, so good.

Possible inconsistent battery voltage to the left coil from a wire looking okay visually but maybe broken inside causing on-again off-again power to the coil. Could also be a broken, crusty or loose connector where the wire to the coil attaches to the harness. Can check with an ohmeter while wiggling and manipulating the wire. Better yet, by pass the harness feed by running a temporary feed wire straight from the battery positive direct to the coil and see what effect it has. Also might be old crappy plug wires leaking voltage between coil and plugs. Just for grins, crank it up in a dark garage and spray the plug wires with a hand water sprayer. If they are leaking, maybe you'll get to enjoy a free fireworks show. :woohoo: Cheap fix might be to snip a short piece off the end of the plug wire to improve the screw-in connection at the plug cap. If using a stock coil with the plug wires permanently built in, might use a plug wire splicer to connect new plug wires from near the coil. But this won't cure any possible problem in the plug caps themselves. Haven't used the splicer myself, but hear from others that they work as advertized. Could always go first class with new Dyna coils and Dyna plug wires which have the plug caps already affixed -- a quick easy bolt in, all available from Z1E, and for me cured a lot of headaches. Of course, consistent battery voltage to the coils is a prerequisite in any event, so likely best to determine that issue first thing.
Pretty crummy running on just half the cylinders, so hope you are up and running soon and hitting hard on all four.:)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/12/17 17:34
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: