Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head Gasket 12 Dec 2006 19:45 #99251

• 2bskor
  • 2bskor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 1979 kz1000e and have leaking head gasket and maybe a leaking base gasket did anyone here ever replace these gaskets. I'm wondering about splitting the cases more than anything and of course the timing. I have a clymer manual it seems pretty straight forward.

Any tips or tricks or just plain info would be great!!
1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket 12 Dec 2006 19:52 #99253

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
You will not have to split cases. You will need to remove block to access base gasket. If you can afford it look at condition of rings and barrels. Might be a good time to freshen up. Clymer manual is good. Watch your chain pin count on reinstalling cams. If head is off new valve seals are good idea if there is any great amount of mileage on engine. Hell spend the wad and get a 3 angle valve job too. Use thin sheetmetal and large hose clamps to reinstall pistons into block. Gasket replacement can be done in as little as 4 hours if you have all tools and some skills. If you can replace both gaskets you can do anything associated with your engine.

Head Gasket 12 Dec 2006 20:06 #99256

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
2bskor wrote:

I have a 1979 kz1000e and have leaking head gasket and maybe a leaking base gasket did anyone here ever replace these gaskets. I'm wondering about splitting the cases more than anything and of course the timing. I have a clymer manual it seems pretty straight forward.

Any tips or tricks or just plain info would be great!!

Replacement of head gasket or base gasket does not require splitting the cases or removing the engine from the chassis.

Forgive my pressing a little here, but why so certain about a leaking head gasket and then "maybe" a leaking base gasket? Is the diagnosis based on oil seepage alone, or is there something else? Maybe it's more simple -- such as a leaking cam gasket, tach drive or exhaust gasket (there was also a recent thread where an exhaust stud had likely been "re-threaded" too far whereby the tap had gone on through to an oil channel -- and repairs suggested without needing to remove the head).

Just doing a little guess work hoping to spare you some time and effort. :P
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Head Gasket 13 Dec 2006 18:14 #99380

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
If You DO replace the head gasket...be sure to get the proper info on it,depending if You go with a 1-piece,or a 2-piece gasket...some very important tips there for sure.
Keep Us posted on it.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Head Gasket 13 Dec 2006 18:24 #99382

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
how badly is it leaking?
first thing I would do is check torque on head nuts...

Head Gasket 13 Dec 2006 20:23 #99442

• 2bskor
  • 2bskor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I guess by saying splitting cases I used the wrong term. I meant the head. The upper gasket I guess this is the head gasket:unsure: sorry I'm an automotive guy is seeping oil even when left on the kickstand but mostly when I ride at 100k or 55+ mph oil comes out quite a bit on the left side of the engine and lands on the left engine case.

I can't pin point the leak for sure but the left side of the engine front side and rear is all wet it is hard to tell. The base gasket and the head gasket look dry on the right side of the engine but they are oil soaked on the left side. Even my airbox exterior on the left side is oiled from the oil spray I guess.

I have a uv dye for oil leaks not quite sure if I want to add that to my oil.

I did tighten the two exterior head bolts still no change I still have to take the tank off to try the others. What is the correct torque?

This bike is in very good condition with low mileage and it looks as if the previous owner, which I don't know who it was took good care of it. The base gasket looks as if it may have been replaced before as it is whie and looks clean on the right side that is:S

Would this problem cause my oil to go milky??
It only is milky on the level glass and the cap:blink:

I did an oil change and it came out black not milky stuff there but the sight glass has almost always been milky and I drive it often.

Sorry for the long message HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by: 2bskor, at: 2006/12/13 23:29
1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Head Gasket 14 Dec 2006 13:38 #99605

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
2bskor wrote:

I guess by saying splitting cases I used the wrong term. I meant the head. The upper gasket I guess this is the head gasket:unsure: sorry I'm an automotive guy is seeping oil even when left on the kickstand but mostly when I ride at 100k or 55+ mph oil comes out quite a bit on the left side of the engine and lands on the left engine case.

I can't pin point the leak for sure but the left side of the engine front side and rear is all wet it is hard to tell. The base gasket and the head gasket look dry on the right side of the engine but they are oil soaked on the left side. Even my airbox exterior on the left side is oiled from the oil spray I guess.

I have a uv dye for oil leaks not quite sure if I want to add that to my oil.

I did tighten the two exterior head bolts still no change I still have to take the tank off to try the others. What is the correct torque?

This bike is in very good condition with low mileage and it looks as if the previous owner, which I don't know who it was took good care of it. The base gasket looks as if it may have been replaced before as it is whie and looks clean on the right side that is:S

Would this problem cause my oil to go milky??
It only is milky on the level glass and the cap:blink:

I did an oil change and it came out black not milky stuff there but the sight glass has almost always been milky and I drive it often.

Sorry for the long message HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: 2bskor, at: 2006/12/13 23:29

Suggest you first pin point the leak as follows -- be sure oil level is okay -- use gunk or your favorite engine cleaner, then hose it off -- dry completely -- if desired dust baby powder in suspect areas (tach drive, cam cover gasket, exhaust port areas) -- crank using a fan for cooling -- sit down close with a flashlight and slowly scan all suspect areas while engine is running -- oil seepage should become readily noticeable and may first appear as a shiney section along edge of the cam gasket (my guess).

Sure hope it's a fix so simple as replacing the cam cover gasket, and while you're in there, suggest also replacing the tach drive seal (all available at Z1E).
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: