Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 06 Dec 2006 15:43 #97888

• kawsakiman
  • kawsakiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i know i asked this before and i was happy with the answer that i would need the crank and all timing parts due to the difference in the timing chain design.

my question is if it can be done using the jig for the top chain idler to install a j-head on a older kz block, can the same be done for the smaller engines as well? then i can just use the upper half and not be forced to change the crank also.

i know i'm reaching on this one but sometimes i need to be hit with a large board and be told to stop being a dumbass.

if this is possible then i also need to change the cam gears so was wondering if anyone knows where to find any of them.

i don't know why i do these things. i guess i just have a need to be dr frankenstein.

thanks!
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 06 Dec 2006 17:18 #97909

• wireman
  • Visitor
kawsakiman wrote:

i know i asked this before and i was happy with the answer that i would need the crank and all timing parts due to the difference in the timing chain design.

my question is if it can be done using the jig for the top chain idler to install a j-head on a older kz block, can the same be done for the smaller engines as well? then i can just use the upper half and not be forced to change the crank also.

i know i'm reaching on this one but sometimes i need to be hit with a large board and be told to stop being a dumbass.

if this is possible then i also need to change the cam gears so was wondering if anyone knows where to find any of them.

i don't know why i do these things. i guess i just have a need to be dr frankenstein.

thanks!

easy big fella,next thing ya know youll be stuffing large by huge car motors in v-drive boats and building overgrown street turbo motors on juice and putting them in outdated 30 year bikes!its a slippery slope youre on mr,welcome to z-jungle!:evil: :P

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 06 Dec 2006 20:42 #97949

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I know what you mean about "dr frankinstien" I have the same desease, anyway isn't the ZN700 the same as the KZ700 engine then 81 up 650s use the same chain and I am about to do your swap in reverse, I have an 84 KZ700 engine and found the head is possibly cracked and I am going to put an 81 650 head on it along with some gpz cams

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 07 Dec 2006 13:52 #98104

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
650 700 and 750 all interchange freely

kz ltd csr gpz blah blah blah

even the newer zr 750 works

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 07 Dec 2006 15:04 #98111

• kawsakiman
  • kawsakiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i know they will physically bolt on,but what do i have to do with the cam chain?

do i just run the old cams in the zn head?

do i need anything special to run the upper half from the zn on my 77 kz block?

isn't one a hyvo chain ?

can i use the top idler from a j-head and slotted cam sprockets on this one like we did on the 1000?

the story is that my 650 is dying a slow painful death due to me being cheap. i got a chance to buy a complete zn700 motor minus carbs for $100. i want a better flowing head and if i got to install a bigger kit i thought this might be a option.i have to rebuild the top end either way. i thought a zn motor has a little more spunk than a kz motor. better flowing head and all. can this be done or will the cost be to high. which way do you all think is better? 810 and a kz head or the zn head?
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

revisiting the zn700 head on a kz650 motor, new idea. 07 Dec 2006 15:31 #98114

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
do you have the volume of the 700 combustion chamber? valve specs? cam specs?
ok, the older 650 has a roller cam chain, the 700 has a hyvo cam chain. to use the 700 head and cams, you will have to swap in the stuff from the 650 that "touches" the cam chain. the tensioner bits, guide wheels, and cam sprockets. if the 700 head doesnt have the provisions for the 650 guide/tensioner "stuff" you could probably have it machined in if you are dead set on using the 700 head on a 650. the other way to go is like you said, and swap cranks to allow use of the hyvo chain.
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• Page: