Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Is the big block the only way? 26 Nov 2006 15:42 #95127

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
kz-mtd wrote:

The brace kit is on the way, cbr f3 rim 5 inches,swingarm and brakes.Why not use the big valve,port job,and 435 cams :unsure:

What's your plan for carbs?

What type of power delivery do you like best?

34mm Mikuni Flat Slides, stock valves, good street port job, .410" lift cam would be a nice street setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is the big block the only way? 26 Nov 2006 19:31 #95207

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
larrycavan wrote:

kz-mtd wrote:

The brace kit is on the way, cbr f3 rim 5 inches,swingarm and brakes.Why not use the big valve,port job,and 435 cams :unsure:

What's your plan for carbs?

What type of power delivery do you like best?

34mm Mikuni Flat Slides, stock valves, good street port job, .410" lift cam would be a nice street setup.

34 or 36 flatties trying to get 130+rwhp, with 1197 street or strip.:huh:

Is the big block the only way? 26 Nov 2006 19:46 #95212

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It would be really cool if larrycavan or APE Jay (or both) would post their opinions on exactly what it takes to get to 130 hp with both a 1015 and the J motors.

(Hint, hint) :D

Changed APA Jay to APE Jay to satisfy wireman :D :D

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/11/27 08:21
KD9JUR

Is the big block the only way? 26 Nov 2006 19:52 #95214

• wireman
  • Visitor
APA JAY?damn i dont have any APA pictures ive been using this one!:P
Attachments:

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 00:17 #95277

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
I'll post some specific estimates later today....but this much I can tell you right not.....it takes enough compression / cam / cylinder head to make it breathe for that level of performance....a 1015 motor or 998.....whew!...not something you'd be happy with on the street IMO..

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 05:34 #95296

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
larrycavan wrote:

I'll post some specific estimates later today....but this much I can tell you right not.....it takes enough compression / cam / cylinder head to make it breathe for that level of performance....a 1015 motor or 998.....whew!...not something you'd be happy with on the street IMO..

As usual I wasn't real clear on what I was saying :)

as an example:

1015 motor
1197 cc
APE 435 cams
APE street port or equal
37mm intake and 33mm exhaust valves
36mm RS Flatslides

J motor
1170 cc
APE 410 cams
APE street port or equal
38.6mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves
36mm flatslides

The above has no relation to reality, just using specs for examples.

It would be nice if both you and APE Jay could provide specifics for different power levels so I could combine both in an article and put it in the "Articles" or "Filebase" section with proper attribution.

Pretty please? :) :)
KD9JUR

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 05:52 #95306

• wireman
  • Visitor
larrycavan wrote:

3 options lots of cubes,a highly strung small inch motor,or artificially with turbo or nitrous.or combine your favorite 2 ,ok 4 options!:evil: :P

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 05:57 #95308

• wireman
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

As usual I wasn't real clear on what I was saying :)

as an example:

1015 motor
1197 cc
APE 435 cams
APE street port or equal
37mm intake and 33mm exhaust valves
36mm RS Flatslides

J motor
1170 cc
APE 410 cams
APE street port or equal
38.6mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves
36mm flatslides

The above has no relation to reality, just using specs for examples.

It would be nice if both you and APE Jay could provide specifics for different power levels so I could combine both in an article and put it in the "Articles" or "Filebase" section with proper attribution.

Pretty please? :) :)

along with this i think we should have a section on suspension/chassis upgrades to make this horsepower safe to put to ground.B)

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 08:47 #95338

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
the 1197 that wire and i are putting together for my street bike will be small carb, mild port, big cams.

shooting for a stump-pulling tq engine. something to gear tall and eat some miles up.

i don't plan on back cutting 2nd, but i am thinking about welding the crank, if it isn't already.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 14:00 #95392

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
solomrus wrote:

the 1197 that wire and i are putting together for my street bike will be small carb, mild port, big cams.

shooting for a stump-pulling tq engine. something to gear tall and eat some miles up.

i don't plan on back cutting 2nd, but i am thinking about welding the crank, if it isn't already.

--r

Better buy a supply of tooth picks to go with that....you'll want them to get the bugs out of your teeth...cause you have a B.S.E.G most of the time when you'r riding it.... ;) ...sounds like my kind of bike:cheer:

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 15:07 #95406

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I've run 11.04 @122 with stock pistons and a stock rear rime and swingarm with no air shifter. A good sized rear rim and a 3" over swingarm with an air shifter and 10's would have been a given. Admittedly new 600's run deep in 10's but 10 sec in 1/4 from an old KZ is, in my opinion, somewhat respectable. Impresses the heck outta the car guys and chicks. And if the car guys are scared and the chicks oohing and aahing I'm happy. So NO a big block is not only way to go.

Is the big block the only way? 27 Nov 2006 19:22 #95490

• kz-mtd
  • kz-mtd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

I've run 11.04 @122 with stock pistons and a stock rear rime and swingarm with no air shifter. A good sized rear rim and a 3" over swingarm with an air shifter and 10's would have been a given. Admittedly new 600's run deep in 10's but 10 sec in 1/4 from an old KZ is, in my opinion, somewhat respectable. Impresses the heck outta the car guys and chicks. And if the car guys are scared and the chicks oohing and aahing I'm happy. So NO a big block is not only way to go.

:cheer: Thanks alot I have done some price checking building a 1197 man was it expensive.:dry: