Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 12:26 #85253

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
My last rebuild on my KZ650 I installed a big bore kit. After I got it all together my compression was really low below 80 on all cylinders. I got it started and broke it in. After about 500 miles my compression went to 170 PSI on all cylinders.
There is a big difference before and after the rings seat. If the bike will run I would run it hard for about 20 minutes then change the oil using 30 weight dino oil. Ride it a couple hundred miles and see. Just make sure you vary your speed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 12:47 #85258

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Neotrion wrote:

I did some research on how to place the pistons back in the bores and decdied to put them in dry. Plus what would everyone suggest to put down those bores instead of wd40 that might help me a bit more?

You put them in dry? Who told you to do that? I have never heard of that. I've always used engine oil or assembly lube. The bore is the roughest it will ever be right after you hone it. If you put the cylinders on the pistons dry, it's quite possible that you scored or broke the piston rings, which would result in low compression and burning oil when you finally get it to run.

I'd put regular engine oil or some 20/50 in the bores. WD40 has a very thin oil in it.

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 14:04 #85270

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Dry assembly is becoming a common method for cylinders and pistons. Sometimes manufacturers even go as far as saying to wipe the block with acetone..

On a KZ motor, proper prep of a freshly honed block is as follows.

Wash the cylinders out with HOT SOAPY WATER and a bottle brush. Yes they will rust up immediately upon drying them

Next, use a soft, clean, white rag [T-Shirt]and put some oil into the cylinder. Rub the bores with oil, progressively wiping it until all tendancy of the rag to discolor [turb black] have ceased. Bear down on it when rubbing, rotate the cloth to new clean sections and gradually cut back on the oil.

Next, apply a very small amount of oil to the very bottom of the bore, reaching up in maybe 1 - 2 inches from the bottom...again...light coat.

Apply a few drops of oil to the piston skirts and spread it around on them.

Assemble the block onto the pistons, over the rings.

Turn the motor over several times while holding the cam chain. Then bring a pair of cylinders to BDC and again, with a clean white rag, wipe out any excess oil in the cylinder...bring the opposing cylinder pair to BDC and repeat the wiping. I generally do this twice to remove excess oil that is only going to burn and generate carbon.

I don't care if you've only got an initial 90 psi of compression on initial checking after re-ringing it. If you have it tuned properly, it will start and run.

This really is a straightforward situation with a straightforward solution.

1. Verify your cam timing is correct.
2. Verify you have valve clearance of anything between .002" - .006".
3. Verify your ignition timing is correct.
4. Verify your carburetion is in spec.

Start the motor and run it for several minutes.

a) If it runs, if it doesn't smoke, if it doesn't sputter, if there are no liquid leaks, take it for a ride and put some miles on it.

b) Bring it home, let it cool down enough to where you can pull the plugs and do a compression test without burning your hands. If, you have over 100 - 120 psi compression, no oil leaks, etc. Continue to put miles on the bike and check compression again after 100 miles.

Regarding rings: In general, if theres a dot near the end on one side, the dot side of the ring goes up.

If there's a bevel but no dot, the bevel goes up.

You mentioned nothing of, piston to cyl clearance, cylinder taper or ring end gap.

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2006/10/18 17:15

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 14:31 #85273

• Neotrion
  • Neotrion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hey WG did you get my message asking you about where you get your valve work done? My other bike is going to need some work.

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 14:44 #85274

• Neotrion
  • User
Thanks for your reply WG. I was just curious how much they charged. I like APE but it is a little step for me. I just wanted to see what the going rates were. It looks like on this set of heads they will need to be recut. Unlike on my other bike, when I lapped these valves in they didn't seem to seal at over 80 compression.

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 17:53 #85312

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Man you guys rings take a long time to seat. Are you trying to make them last longer? Hee. I usually get a hair cut, cut my nails, put on a suit and tye, eat a good meal, not too salty, not too bland and then .......sleep on it since im nervous as heck ... a prayer... a deep breath.... sigh... ok.. lets roll. DAMN! only 20lbs! Wait a minute thats the gauge for the forks,

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 19:12 #85325

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The reason I couldn't pin down my answer is that I wasn't sure what you needed done. If you dress the seats, I suspect it won't cost much at all... if you put in new guides, it will be more. I suspect a complete valve job to be in the $150 range...

If you lap the valves, check the seat with machinists dye... get some at an autoparts store and you can paint it on the seat then stick the valve in. Instead of a clean, lapped band, you will have a clean dye line which indicates a good seat. You just stick the valve in without spinning it. Any spots that are not even (which produces poor seal) will show in gaps in the dye. I think this works better than putting oil in the combustion chambers to see how long it seeps by the seat.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 20:28 #85344

• Neotrion
  • User
WG would you know if the have email? It sounds to me like that is a reasonable price, the problem is just talking to them and get them there.

low compression after rebuild 18 Oct 2006 20:58 #85354

• wireman
  • Visitor
vegasjetskier wrote:

Neotrion wrote:

I did some research on how to place the pistons back in the bores and decdied to put them in dry. Plus what would everyone suggest to put down those bores instead of wd40 that might help me a bit more?

You put them in dry? Who told you to do that? I have never heard of that. I've always used engine oil or assembly lube. The bore is the roughest it will ever be right after you hone it. If you put the cylinders on the pistons dry, it's quite possible that you scored or broke the piston rings, which would result in low compression and burning oil when you finally get it to run.

I'd put regular engine oil or some 20/50 in the bores. WD40 has a very thin oil in it.

here we go again!:whistle: i clean bores with wadded up toilet paper and carb cleaner,it doesnt leave lint in bore like rags do.i just keep rubbing them down till i dont get anymore black crud on paper.i oil the wrist pins before installing them but i do not put any oil on bores or pistons.i crank motor over a few times with no plugs to get oil circulated through motor then i install plugs and start motor.ye i have built many very healthy motors for bikes and cars,boats,cars etc and they get many hard runs on them.ive never had a broken ring or scored cylinder wall caused by assembly issues:whistle:

low compression after rebuild 19 Oct 2006 05:41 #85406

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I don't know if the owner, Robby, does email. He won't answer the phone so you need to leave a message and hope he gets back to you. He WILL answer the phone early in the morning (about 7:30AM if I recall) and in the evenings at about 4:45PM. He works by himself and I suppose, as a machinist, the phone would be a distraction. I know from first hand experience that answering the phone while in the shop can be difficult. Anyway, keep trying him... you can UPS the head, if necessary. Make sure you have a good idea of what you want done before calling and get prices on various aspects of the work. Robby is always very fair on pricing and I have never heard of him gouging. He is kind of gruff from sniffing cutting fluid... just be warned! bwhahaha
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

low compression after rebuild 19 Oct 2006 06:13 #85424

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wireman wrote:

i oil the wrist pins before installing them but i do not put any oil on bores or pistons.

What is your reason for not oiling the bores or pistons? What is to be gained?

low compression after rebuild 19 Oct 2006 06:31 #85427

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Thanks VJS- I have checked a lot of engines cold... this is pretty common when buying a barn bike (project) that isn't going to start... most of the time, they have no electrical so you just kick them over to get a good idea if they have compression... I haven't found that it made a great deal of difference warm or cold... I suspect that aircraft mechanics have different standards than motorcycle mechanics as far as these things go... anyway, the idea behind a dry piston install is that the rings seat all the more quickly. Oiling starts pretty quickly after you get things running. I personally don't like the idea of a totally dry start up. I use assembly lube in the cam/valve guide area and on the wrist pins. I use ATF in the cylinder bores/piston walls and rings. The ATF burns off quickly as it is very light and the rings will seat without much fuss. I also don't like to use some specific ring seating riding pattern. I just ride normally and try not to drone along at one speed on a freeway.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!