Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Degree'n Cams 12 Oct 2006 23:50 #83841

• STINARKZ1K
  • STINARKZ1K's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone know if a KZ1000 makes any more power by degreeing the cams to different lobe centers. Also, what exhaust would you guys reccomend for a stock kz1000. Nothing loud, but something that looks nice and is a nice upgrade. What about carbs/air filter? How do CV carbs work on these bikes? Is it necessary to even go through these changes if I dont plan on putting different cams in. Thanks in advance guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Degree'n Cams 13 Oct 2006 08:48 #83937

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I can't offer you any info on the cams, but as far as the other things you mentioned I might be able to help.

Installing a new similarly fashioned exhaust (4-into-2) isn't really going to gain you any more power, although it will probably look nicer than the original 20+ year old system that's on your bike now.
Going to a 4-into-1 system AND rejetting the carbs to match the increased exhaust flow will help, and will also shed about 20 pounds or more of dead weight from the bike.
Every 4-into-1 exhaust system that I've heard is going to be louder than the OE exhaust on your bike. So if that's an issue for you, you're better of sticking with what you have, or just getting a new 4-into-2 replacement system the likes of Jardine or Mac.

Carbs are a diff story altogether.
Larger carbs can increase fuel flow, but without increasing the airflow by installing pod filters and porting the intakes on the head, it's wasted money AFAIC.
Mikuni carbs are mechanically operated, while the Kehein type CV carbs are more of a vacuum operated carb.
Going with the CV's you'd need to figure out where to run the vacuum lines from/to, as well as install a vacuum operated petcock IIRC.

FWIW, installing a decent 4-into-1, rejetting the carbs, and dropping in a K&N or equivalent OEM style replacement air filter is about the easiest and least expensive upgrade to perform. And although it's not going to put your bike in the power range of most modern sport bikes, the power will be noticeable.
One thing to watch for on the 4-into-1 systems offered is that some require removal of the centerstand to install, and also may need to be removed to perform an oil and filter change.
Just read the fine print in the specs on each exhaust system and you'll be ok. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Degree'n Cams 16 Oct 2006 11:57 #84721

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
You can run 105 lobe centers and pick up compression and torgue. Advance the intake 5deg and the valve will open sooner and close sooner (more gas and more compression. Retard the exhaust 5deg and the mix is trapped in the cylinder longer (more torque). This set up will make more torque and broad band power. To a point. High rpm the motron will not be able to breath due to the intakee valve shutting too soon. It chokes the motor and power will fall off earlier. The motor will remind you of a truck motor. But you might like it.

• Page: