• Page:

TOPIC:

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 08:44 #78150

• kainh
  • kainh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I just picked up 79 KZ650. Nice bike, runs good for the age of it and miles (22,000). One question for the experts out there. I have a rattling noise that is coming from the tranny during idle, or at least it sounds like its coming from there. It doesn't seem to cause any bike issues. It accelerates normally and no leaking. Granted, I still need to do a thorough tune up, but wondering if anyone had any ideas or if this is normal. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 09:01 #78152

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
i have the same on my 750, goes away after like 2000RPM, never did find out why it does it?:(

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 09:18 #78155

• kf6kmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
kainh wrote:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I just picked up 79 KZ650. Nice bike, runs good for the age of it and miles (22,000). One question for the experts out there. I have a rattling noise that is coming from the tranny during idle, or at least it sounds like its coming from there. It doesn't seem to cause any bike issues. It accelerates normally and no leaking. Granted, I still need to do a thorough tune up, but wondering if anyone had any ideas or if this is normal. Thanks in advance.

I'm hearing something that sounds like you describe on my KZ750 I just bought... To me it sounds like its coming from the engine though, goes away when you gun it, and only very noticeable at idle... Doesnt have me overly worried (yet), I'm used to hot rod car engines with similar noises, usually from the timing chain, on those its normal and expected, I havent been around enough KZ's to know if its 'normal' on these though :whistle:

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 09:22 #78157

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Sounds like your cam chain needs adjustment. Do you have a manual?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 09:46 #78167

• kainh
  • User
a friend is sending me one this weekend. I will verify the cam chain. thanks for the replies

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 10:03 #78172

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Also if the carbs are not perfectly synced the primary chain will rattle. That's where the KZ1000 gear grive is a welcome design feature.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

idle nosie 20 Sep 2006 19:09 #78343

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
The 650's have a chain driven bottom end that makes noise at low rpm. A carb sync may quiet it down.Mine never went totally silent.

idle nosie 21 Sep 2006 04:38 #78403

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

The 650's have a chain driven bottom end that makes noise at low rpm. A carb sync may quiet it down.Mine never went totally silent.

Do you know if this is the same w/a 750 twin? I've been able to get mine running (off and on) and I hear a rattling noise also. Adjusted the cam chain tentioner and it actually seems as if the noise is louder:(
I'm still having trouble keeping it running so I haven't done a carb sync, yet.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

idle nosie 21 Sep 2006 07:33 #78440

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
ronjones wrote:

RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Do you know if this is the same w/a 750 twin? I've been able to get mine running (off and on) and I hear a rattling noise also. Adjusted the cam chain tentioner and it actually seems as if the noise is louder:(

Yes, your's uses a chain, plus there is a chain drive balancer driven off the crankshaft too. Could be one of these rattling. (No balancer on a KZ650, only on a 750 twin).
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

idle nosie 21 Sep 2006 07:45 #78445

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I vote for a cam chain adjustment.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

idle nosie 21 Sep 2006 08:30 #78456

• kainh
  • User
thanks to everyone for their input. I will try the cam chain adjustment first and let everyone know. I was also planning on rebuilding the carbs, so hopefully those two things help out.

idle nosie 21 Sep 2006 08:41 #78458

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
RonKZ650 wrote:

ronjones wrote:

RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Yes, your's uses a chain, plus there is a chain drive balancer driven off the crankshaft too. Could be one of these rattling. (No balancer on a KZ650, only on a 750 twin).

Thanks Ron and good luck, kainh.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Page: