Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 11 Sep 2006 13:24 #75920

• strawman10
  • strawman10's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all, just found this site today and I gotta say, I think this is the start of a beautiful relationship. This place is great. Every one on here seems really knowledgable and willing to help. And boy do I need it.
Here goes...
I inherited a '79 KZ650. The guy had no idea what was wrong with it; it took me a day in the garage to find the tank was full of rust and year-old rusty gas, clogged petcock, dead battery, (he tried to jump it off a car battery) dirty carbs, two pilot/idle jets clogged, one main jet all gummed up... Anywho, I took care of all that, slapped a gas tank on it, hit the starter button thinking it wouldn't run... low and behold, it ran like a champ. I mean strong and fast. Awesome. 4th run up the street I slowed down and shifted into first to turn around for another test run (by now the testing was over, I was just having fun). Shifted into first, let off the clutch and goosed the throttle. As soon as I did the engine bogged. Crap. Gave it more gas, just kept bogging. Squeezed the clutch in and it quit bogging down and started idleing just fine (by this time I was rolling at about 5 mph). Tried again: let off the clutch, gave it gas, and it bogged again so I squeezed the clutch again, only this time it didn't stop bogging down. I rode to a stop and the bike stalled out. Haven't been able to start it since.
Here's the kicker (no pun intended). As it sits now (not running) it will go into gear but if you try to kick start it in gear with the clutch held in the bike lurches forward like the clutch is engaged. But if you put it in neutral and kick it it turns the motor just fine. But if you're in neutral and you squeeze the clutch and try to kick start it, the kicker pedal just turns freely without turning the motor.
So the clutch is doing something, I've allready adjusted, and re-adjusted the cable and clutch release mechanism. I've taken the clutch assembly out and put it back in. You can see the friction plates release when you pull the lever. Which makes me believe the problem lies in the tranny. I was just hoping someone could tell me otherwise. I really don't want to have to pull this motor and crack it open.
Any ideas? Anyone ever experience anything like this? I'm pretty mechanicaly inclined and have a vast array of tools; ANY thoughts or insight would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this (and possibly reply), y'all be safe on them sleds,
Grayson

Post edited by: strawman10, at: 2006/09/12 12:19

Post edited by: strawman10, at: 2006/09/13 18:58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PLEASE help, Transmission woes... 11 Sep 2006 14:42 #75936

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It's your lucky day, it's not the transmission. :)

When you hold the clutch lever in and try to kick it, it's not going to work, the kickstarter drives the motor via the clutch.

Maybe warped clutch plates, I have the same problem on a 750 twin at the moment, and really need to get off my tired butt and go fix it :)
KD9JUR

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:04 #76535

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome.

Don't pull in the clutch when you kick start her, not supposed to. Only when you use the electric starter. Make sure your in neutral too.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:08 #76536

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i second what they said^^^^^^
but at the same time you'd better find a wiring diagram and go through all the electicals.
jumping off of a car battery can have VERY bad results.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:17 #76537

• steell
  • User

As it sits now (not running) it will go into gear but if you try to kick start it in gear with the clutch held in the bike lurches forward like the clutch is engaged.

Again, the kickstart drives the crank via the clutch

But if you put it in neutral and kick it it turns the motor just fine. But if you're in neutral and you squeeze the clutch and try to kick start it, the kicker pedal just turns freely without turning the motor.

That is the way it is supposed to work, the only bikes I can think of at the moment that will allow you to kickstart while holding the clutch in are dirtbikes.

Think it through like this:
Neutral, clutch lever held in, kick it and nothing happens, so the kickstart is obviously not driving the primary side (engine side of clutch). Now, if the kickstart is not driving the primary side of the clutch, then it must be driving the secondary side, right? And what's on the secondary side? The transmission.

I'll guess your riding expeience has been on dirtbikes.

As usual, everyone in the world types faster than I do :D

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/13 19:19
KD9JUR

PLEASE help, Transmission woes... 13 Sep 2006 16:19 #76539

• strawman10
  • User
Hey steell, thanks for responding. I gotta say, it felt good to read the first sentence in your response, but I gotta ask; what makes you say that? Are you saying that the kz650 can only be kick-started in neutral with the clutch engaged? I have a couple dirt bikes and they can be kick started in any gear or neutral, as long as you hold the clutch in. I just naturally assumed any bike was the same. If I'm wrong (and I hope I am) I stand corrected.
Also on a side note, it turns out I'm now not getting any spark either, so now I've got that to contend with. And the fun never stops. :^)
Anyway, thanks again for your response, let me know if I'm understanding you correctly if you get a minute.
Grayson

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:22 #76542

• strawman10
  • User
wow I just responded and then saw that you had posted again while i was typing.Cool beans. not only that but you had answered my questions with out me having to ask them. thanks agin,
Grayson

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:31 #76544

• strawman10
  • User
Its all clear to me now. You learn something new every day. And this day just got really good, now knowing its not my transmission. YES!! (pumping fist in the air) Thanks again steell and you other fine gentlemen who have showed me the light. And yeah, I didnt get my first street bike 'till 3 years ago and its an '03 shadow(no kickstart there!). Now I just gotta find my spark. Hopefully its just a bad kill switch or somthin' simple.
Grayson

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 16:35 #76545

• strawman10
  • User
Oh yeah, I just saw that bumping/re-posting is not allowed. Sorry mate, it won't happen again.
Grayson

Ok, this is just weird. I'm stumped. 13 Sep 2006 17:27 #76555

• steell
  • User
What bump? :evil: :evil:
KD9JUR

• Page: