Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 09:06 #69617

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok, so I bought a set of 1100cc cylinders off ebay...

I want to put these on my 82 KZ1000 CSR (which I just got back on the road) as a winter project. This would be my first non-stock engine, and I have no idea what to do.

There are a few options... overbore (up to 1260 cc w/ new sleeves), hi comp pistons, mebbe low comp and a turbo? :evil:

My only requirements are that it be feasible for a novice engine builder, streetable (in tennessee weather)
and be usable with my current bottom end and J style heads.

And by streetable, that means I want torque, not high rpm drag racing horsepower.

Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:22 #69664

• wireman
  • Visitor
story of my life,always seems like the thing to do at the time!:evil: :P

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:25 #69665

• cary
  • User
any suggestions for the buildup?

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:35 #69667

• wireman
  • Visitor
well if you want to build a turbo motor,i wouldnt bore it too big you want enough meat left in sleeves to support ring seal when it starts building boost.you can actually build a pretty reliable good pump gas turbo motor as long as you dont run lots of boost.you can get away with smaller cams and mild head since the turbo is going to force feed it anyway.the reason im building such a big motor for my turbo is i have an extra bigblock and lots of leftover stuff from other projects.so as my dad always told me:do as i say,not as i do!:evil: :P

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:41 #69671

• cary
  • User
will the stock lower end keep up with say, 1170 cc with 8 psi boost thru ported stocker heads?

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:43 #69672

• wireman
  • Visitor
Attachments:

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 12:50 #69673

• wireman
  • Visitor
im not sure if yours is a j-motor bottem end.but that turbo i posted is an 1197 topend with a small pin crank ,braced maincap,and modified stock oil pump.bottem end has not been touched for 6-7 years,new pistons and bigblock 3 years ago.bike gets run hard regularly with no problems:evil:

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 13:02 #69674

• cary
  • User
as far as I know, my bottom end is stock J-motor. Will stock CDI ignition work on a mild turbo?

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 15 Aug 2006 16:42 #69743

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Turbo, for a novice builder? Myself I like smaller cc engines with hi comp 12:1 ratios that can still run on pump gas. 36-38mm Mikunis RS carbs. Mild porting with after market cams with under .400 lift. Put some money into chassis, braided brake lines, fork brace and progressive springs, gas charged piggy back rear shocks. A GSXR swingarm and rear wheel is a must.

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 16 Aug 2006 05:14 #69888

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Hey man, you outbid me by $1!!!

If you decide to overbore, I have a set that are as pretty as those with one bore tapered too much to use with stock pistons and rings.

If that one is in spec and you're gonna overbore, you'd be doing me a great favor by swapping...

-Duck

IMO, anything beyond 10:1 normally aspirated requires a LOT of tuning experience. Blown, 13:1, fancy cams, stuff like that, needs lotsa $, lotsa planning, and lotsa care in tuning.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/08/16 08:19

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 16 Aug 2006 09:03 #69939

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
1170sgo very nice in those. Just bored one yesterday.

Jay

seemed like a good idea at the time, now i've got to build it. 16 Aug 2006 09:16 #69942

• cary
  • User
other than sleeves, is there any difference in 1000 and 1100 jugs?

• Page: