Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

GPz 550 struggling when in gear 25 Aug 2020 17:19 #833683

• dpivas7
  • dpivas7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
What is the correct number of turns for the pilot screw?

I have been using 2.5 turns, but in the manual I see it should be 1 3/8 turns. It may need to be different with the pods though, I'm not sure.

I set the float height to 27mm based on the manual, but it still looks low using the clear tube method. I'll have to adjust tomorrow.

Also, I want to remove the vacuum operated emissions switch up by the reed case just to reduce the number of potential failure points from vacuum leaks. This should be okay, right? I just need to cap the valves on the reed cases and cap the vacuum nipples on the carbs and throw away the rest?
Current: '19 Harley Roadster, '72 XLCH, '84 GPz 550
Past: '84 GPz 550, '82 KZ750 LTD, '71 XLCH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GPz 550 struggling when in gear 26 Aug 2020 07:06 #833704

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2088

dpivas7 wrote: Is there any other way to set float height other than: measure, drain, remove, adjust, reassemble, measure, repeat? .

Yes, it was discussed in another thread recently. Basically, you remove the carbs and one float bowl. Buy a small glass bowl that can take the place of the float bowl. Set the carbs down so the open cab’s float is in the bowl. Use a sharpie to make a mark on the bowl, hook up your remote fuel tank and let the bowl fill. It is easy to see the level and easy to adjust the float. Repeat on the other carbs. It might be possible to use four identical glass bowls at once, if you can find just the right size.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: