Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 20:45 #798468

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Spring might be crooked keeping them from lining up properly.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 11 Feb 2019 14:00 #798492

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks all! I am not the original owner of this bike so I'm doing a good shakedown, even just finished making that custom airbox for it in another post.
But back to this:

Scirocco -> right the timing mark is where it should be lining up, so on my bike it is really far behind in my opinion.

SWest -> where is this spring?

650ed -> the manual I believe doesn't go into detail on adjusting the points themselves, so (if the points were still good and not worn down) how would one get them to line up right? Adjusting that bending 'tab'?

All, I noticed they do not hit eachother flush which I knew wasn't good (you should see it from the top...they're angled! like this \| )
Also the manual states to buy a new contact breaker if the points look worn. Should I try cleaning it first? I couldn't tell that they looked worn down.

Thanks again.
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 11 Feb 2019 14:49 #798493

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If they are worn offset the spring going from the screw where the wires fasten then to the points themselves could have been the cause. Are they worn that way or just offset? That could account for them opening at the wrong time.
Steve

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 11 Feb 2019 16:19 #798500

• newkzrider18
  • User
Honestly, all the times I've looked at them, they've never looked damaged or dirty, they just look like they are mispositioned.
I wonder how that could have happened though as I doubt the PO took a look inside anything.
I'll try and see if I can find this spring.
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 11 Feb 2019 17:18 #798508

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The spring is what makes the points close.
Steve

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 12 Feb 2019 06:51 #798530

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Patton wrote: Is the advancer functioning correctly, clean and lubed and not rusty, and not stuck in the advanced position? . . . .

Does the advancer look anything like this?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 12 Feb 2019 21:42 #798580

• newkzrider18
  • User
Sorry Patton for not answering the first time around, no, the timing advancer looks good and actuates when moved by hand
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

• Page: