Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 05 Feb 2019 12:22 #798233

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

I'm adjusting my timing and following the instructions on page 19 of the manual. It states if the timing is incorrect (which it was as determined previously) to move the crankshaft to the timing mark for the 'F' mark , then adjust the contact breaker mounting plate so the contacts are 'just at the point of opening' or watching an ohmmeter needle flicker.

In the contact breaker mounting plates full range of motion, the points are always opening too early, so before the F timing mark, i.e., it doesn't matter where I put the contact breaker plate the points always open early. (plate all the way to the right, all the way to the left, in the middle, points open early!)

Could there be another reason for this?
Thanks!
I have attached the page of the manual I am using.
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 05 Feb 2019 12:41 #798234

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
The timing plate and the poits back plate are all the adjustment range there is in the set up. If you cant get them to open at the correct mark adjusted fully in either direction there a few things you could do. Firstly are 100% you have the correct points for the bike? Things you could do if you have tried everything else, either file the points heel down which would mean they open later or you could file the slots longer in the backing plate giving more adjustment.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 05 Feb 2019 12:43 #798235

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
First you have to set the gap of the points to 0,3 - 0,4 mm clearence at maximum opening.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 05 Feb 2019 13:27 #798236

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
It is important to understand this: setting the points is comprised of two separate components, and BOTH of these components MUST be set properly if the engine is to run well:

--- The GAP – this is the distance the points spread apart when fully open. This is set by adjusting the points. The GAP is the element that determines the DWELL. In essence, the DWELL is the number of degrees of points cam rotation that the points are closed and this controls the amount of time the coils receive a charge before firing the spark plugs. The gap MUST be set before you set the timing.

--- The TIMING of the initial opening of the points (the point at which the continuity across the points breaks) controls the precise instant that the coils receive the signal to fire the spark plugs. This is set by turning the backplate AFTER the gap is set. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 05 Feb 2019 14:09 #798240

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Could it be that all too commonn 180 degree off lobe? Did you take the lobe off of the advancer?
With that tiny speck of a mark at around 4:00 o'clock position?
Did not read too much in to this?
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 07 Feb 2019 13:06 #798330

• newkzrider18
  • User
Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, in following the manual I have already set the point gap; it was to spec as per the manual and then I continued on to the static timing. No I hadn't taken off the timing advancer at the time.
Also after I move the plate, I make sure that the it is tight on before doing the static test.

I did take it off when checking the slack in my primary chain and when I reinstalled I made sure that the counter breaker fit back into the contact breaker base pin on the starter plate (manual pg 77.)
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 07 Feb 2019 13:24 #798331

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
I want to see some pics of your points and mounting plate @ F and T mark Position

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 14:03 #798447

• newkzrider18
  • User
Sorry for the late reply, it's been snowing...
Attached is a video of a continuity test.
The beeping stops when the points are no longer touching. In the video this happens when what I think is well before the 'F' timing mark.

EDIT:
Ok for some reason the forum won't let me upload the video even though I tried twice with supported file attachments (mov and wmv)
so I guess a picture will do.
The picture is the point where the beeping stops and the points begin to open.
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A
Attachments:
  • Statictimi...2-10.wmv

Last edit: by newkzrider18.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 14:41 #798450

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
Not the "F" letter is the firing mark, the (red) score on the advancer body is "F" mark @ idle.

and the full advance Timing mark @ 3400 rpm

BTW, Video files max. 10mb.

MVI_1942_2...2-10.mov

Attachments:
  • MVI_1942_2...2-10.mov

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 19:08 #798463

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Is the advancer functioning correctly, clean and lubed and not rusty, and not stuck in the advanced position?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 19:19 #798464

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Points look worn out.
Steve

Ignition Timing won't synch with contact breaker plate 10 Feb 2019 20:38 #798466

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

SWest wrote: Points look worn out.
Steve

True. They appear to be either worn out, damaged, and/or installed incorrectly. The contact points are not lined up properly, so even if they were to operate something is still wrong. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Page: