Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help me figure out my startup knocking / clanking 12 Nov 2018 06:20 #793711

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265

650ed wrote: On my KZ650C1 I use the choke to start the engine when cold, but I turn the choke part way down long before it revs up high. I generally let the engine warm up with the revs at about 1200 - 1500rpm. Letting a cold engine rev up high strikes me as a bad idea since the oil hasn't warmed up and circulated through critical engine parts, so lubrication may be minimal. Not only that, even with the engine warm I don't let it rev up very high in neutral. When riding I don't mind taking it up to redline, but revving an engine that has no load on it seems abusive to me. One other thing to consider is the fact that when an engine is cold the pistons and other parts have not expanded to their normal running dimensions, so in my opinion revving a cold engine to high rpm isn't a good idea. Ed

Couldn't agree more on this .... when I bought my baby on Nov 11th 1980 the owner started it on full choke and I about had a stroke when I saw it. #3 cyl was always 10lbs lower than the other 3 and when I bored it I found out why...... it had about a inch of light scoring next the pin area and I always thought this is probably where it came from.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help me figure out my startup knocking / clanking 12 Nov 2018 08:36 #793714

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

650ed wrote: Here's a quick way to warm up a Kawasaki. :woohoo: Ed.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that one Ed. I was cringing too trying to watch the video's that I can't hear anything unusual with they exception of over revving an engine without a load. It could be some slight "piston rattle", soon to become "cracked piston rattle". :woohoo:

Although I did click on all 4 of them long enough to see if I could maybe hear something unusual.. nah, with the exception of possibly on the last one. it did sound like it might have dropped a cylinder at one point. Something intermittent?
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by old_kaw.
  • Page: