Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

#3, #4 not firing GPZ 550 11 Sep 2017 12:37 #770736

• khungerf
  • khungerf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
so, finally took for a ride. probably ran the bike for 20 min between idle and riding (no front brakes yet so only short rides in neighborhoods).
The odd thing is it SEEMS to run fine but there is just no much heat pipe #3. I sounds smooth, revs quick, back to idle quick. Maybe not as snappy as i expected (but it is not fair to compare it to my Aprillia!)

I have not taken the carbs off but I would think if it is a fuel issue it would run different based on rpm (ie. idle v/s full throttle on the main jet)
I did not take the plug out and check. I took the ride and had to leave for the airport.
so, if #3 was never firing wouldn't it sound really rough? or rev slow.. or stumble?
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

#3, #4 not firing GPZ 550 11 Sep 2017 14:00 #770742

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
Try to do a compression test on a warm up engine..
Could be a compression drop (bad valve) on cylinder #3 with a poor air/fuel mix intake and a not fully burned (cooler) exhaust stroke.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

#3, #4 not firing GPZ 550 20 Jul 2018 14:15 #787291

• khungerf
  • khungerf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Found the issue!    I installed the float needle seat wrong AND the main jet had come unscrewed.  I guess I did not tighten it.

Fixing this cleaned things up a lot ...until the bike is hot - but that story is in another thread.
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

• Page: