Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 14 Dec 2014 11:18 #656018

• Jonny
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
For what it's worth, I think most fair size towns are going to have a fastener supplier of some sort around, and they are a good place to have a look. Often better than the local hardware with it's endless rows of little plastic trays full of mixed up fasteners which have been graciously rearranged by previous customers! :pinch:

In my town, there are a handful: Fastenal, Granger and some other agricultural/industrial suppliers. The downside is that package sizes are often large, and for some fasteners I could only get packs of 50 SS allen head bolts. However, some times is pays to get to know the lads behind the counter, as after seeing me come in looking for a motley selection of bots so many times, the store manager got to know I was working on old bikes, and gave me a better solution. He said to make a list of the size/length/type of bolts/fasteners I needed, and how many, and he would order in exactly what I wanted. Essentially making my own customized kit.

All that said, I have a Z1Enterprises bolt kit on my 650, and it came with everything I needed to replace my fittings with SS, and a few extra as well. (Maybe other models have a few more case screws/accesories somewhere? All that said, you've got lots of options. The bolt depot also looks pretty good from the quick browse I had.

Cheers,
Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LVTom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 16 Dec 2014 15:36 #656208

• LVTom
  • LVTom's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I have lots of choices now. Also thanks for the info on Phillips
1071 head versus Japanese screws. I will definitely be modifying or buying some of those.

Re:Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 16 Dec 2014 16:50 #656218

• OutsiderKZ900A4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10

PLUMMEN wrote: Bolt depot.com

They are good to deal with. In fact, I need to replenish my supply.

Re:Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 16 Dec 2014 17:39 #656223

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Also consider JIS bolts as bolt replacements. JIS has a smaller head vs a standard bolt of the same diameter. Some JIS can be just simple bolts, or you can get JIS flange bolts that are what most all newer motorcycles use. Commonly known as small head flange bolts, can be bought at better hardware stores, not Home Depot.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 16 Dec 2014 18:49 #656236

• chconger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14

LVTom wrote: .... thanks for the info on Phillips
1071 head versus Japanese screws. I will definitely be modifying or buying some of those.

An alternative is to buy a JIS screwdriver kit (your bike probably came with one in its kit when new)

Vessel (from Japan) seems to be the only supplier available this side of the Pacific. 980 series looks really cool. Impact JIS.

www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdriv...ies/flypage.tpl.html

They also have a "motorcycle restoration and repair kit"

I was tempted but just replaced all my JIS engine cover screws with stainless allen head button. (Set with ceramic anti-seize as stainless will corrode aluminum otherwise; at least on boat engines it does.)

Pretty sure it would have been cheaper to buy a JIS driver, but they were a bit corroded and mangled by previous folks, so they are gone.

Cheers
Chris
1977 KZ 1000-A

Last edit: by chconger.

Allen Head Cap screws for kz750 16 Dec 2014 19:53 #656242

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
KZ1only is referring to alloyboltz.com/catalog/index.php
Here is a link to my build with a pic of the kit I got for my KZ1000. The engine kit is a separate kit form the carb kit. The engine does not include the frame mount bolts however, its just for all the engine covers.
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/592092-phoenix-fighter?start=120
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• Page: