Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 13:19 #57042

• oyasin
  • oyasin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
motor out, inverted, cases not split. looks clean, low wear. shifts easily btw 1st & neutral. stops just before engaging 2nd. remove clutch side fork and all gears shoft smooth (with my help). forks & grooves mic to spec though i can't tell if they are bent. tried switching them... same thing. stumpped/novice mech. don't know bike history but for orig, low mi. help
oops... 77 kz 1000

Post edited by: oyasin, at: 2006/06/25 16:33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 14:23 #57050

• Werewolfx
  • User
I'm not sure about the 70's models, but my '82 550 has a neutral finder..you can't put it in any gear other than first (or neutral) unless the bike is running.
Chris

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 14:48 #57054

• dog pound
  • User
Good Day, I have a 1977 KZ 1000A1 and it will not go into 2nd and up with out it running.

Cheers Dan

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 14:50 #57055

• oyasin
  • User
thanks, could I appeal to your sense of helpfullness and ask how a neutral finder prevents non running shifts? how does one determine the correct assy of said tranny without complete build and startup?

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 15:02 #57058

• Werewolfx
  • User
I dunno how it works...I always thought it was magic :blink:

The purpose is to make it easier to leave your bike in neutral when you park it, I think..

Aside from sticking the motor back in the bike and starting it to see if it works, I dunno how you'd see if everything is working right. Somone with a much more intimate relationship with the transmission on one of these would probably be able to tell you..maybe one of em will chime in. ;)
Chris

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 15:04 #57060

• oyasin
  • User
thanks dan. I'm restoring a long sitting non running mouse condo. I didn't want to split the cases if I didn't have to. I didn't know if the "won't shift unless it's running" advice was fact or folklore. Good to hear from someone with one.
David

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 15:10 #57062

• oyasin
  • User
I was afraid of that. so far I havn't found anyone in this town (Indianapolis) that knows old jap bikes well enough to help me along... hence: KZrider!
thanks Werewolfx
David

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 17:08 #57079

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Shannon Clem, is a KZRider member and a racer. He lives in Indianapolis and his father owns a shop there or in the area. I did a Google search and think it might be: Clem's Motorcycle Sales in Logansport IN.

926 East Main Street Logansport, IN (Indiana) 46947-5008 Phone: (574) 753-3929

Not sure how far that place is from you but I know that these folks are KZ savvy and race oriented. Give them a call and see if they can help you.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/06/25 20:19
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

77 tranny won't shift 25 Jun 2006 17:39 #57087

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
oyasin wrote:

thanks, could I appeal to your sense of helpfullness and ask how a neutral finder prevents non running shifts? how does one determine the correct assy of said tranny without complete build and startup?

Ok, here you go :)

There are 3 or 4 little ball bearings that fit in holes in the shaft under the second gear, when the output shaft is spinning centrifical force sends thos balls flying outward into the gear and allows the gear to slide and engage second. When the output shaft is not spinning, one of those balls is on the topside of the shaft (because they are equally spaced around the shaft), and it falls down engaging the shaft and preventing the gear from sliding.
In other words, the bike has to be moving (or at least the rear wheel turning) in order to shift into second, engine running alone won't do it.

A whole lot easier to explain if you see it.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/06/25 20:41
KD9JUR

• Page: