Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

broken bolt in the block! 28 Apr 2006 21:19 #43562

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
while taking off my sprocket cover for the first time (on my 82 1000) the long, skinny bolt on the top left broke off with about 1/16 - 1/8" still left outside the thread. In can't get the sprocket cover back on until thisis fixed, hence, no clutch and no ride.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I can't take any chances as this is stuck right in the block.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

broken bolt in the block! 28 Apr 2006 21:47 #43574

• Max2022
  • User
Take it to a mechanics shop. Usualy they drill it and retread the hole. I know I got a nice big 1/8 bolt broken off in my seat(Yes yes, 50lb/inch of torque will do that!), anyway my mechanics shop did it for free, cause I know the owner and mechanics, others will charge ya like $10 I think. It's about 30 minutes of labor.

broken bolt in the block! 28 Apr 2006 22:58 #43579

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I was reading awhile back on here about a product called alum. its supposed to dissovle steel but not aluminum, making it perfect for removing broken off bolts in aluminum, do a search....
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

broken bolt in the block! 29 Apr 2006 04:32 #43591

• BEER
  • User
Take your bike to a machime shop and have them weld a nut to the broken bolt and they should be able to turn it out.

broken bolt in the block! 29 Apr 2006 09:25 #43648

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
There should be no need for redrilling straight away... The good news is the bolt is partly sticking out, so the threads on the inside aren't damaged (yet).
I like beer's suggestion on the welding trick, try that first. I would personally stay away from EZ-outs, because if they break off inside the bolt even a machine shop won't be able to drill out the bolt for you and rethread(ask me how I know) and the only thing left is EDM.

The long bottom bolt on my sprocket cover was broken when I got the bike, and I had no thread sticking out. After the EZ-out debacle I decided to try some left-hand drill bits and this worked great.
I soaked the bolt in PB Blaster and then used a center punch to mark the center of the bolt. I used a tiny left-hand bit to drill a shallow pilot hole (maybe 1/8). Then I grabbed a larger left-hand bit that was the same diameter as the bolt's core size, and it spun right out.
Hope this helps, good luck!
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

broken bolt in the block! 29 Apr 2006 16:48 #43725

• cary
  • User
After I figure out how to get the bike into my truck without it running, I will take it to a machine shop and get this handled... I'll go ahead and order a new set of bolts for putting it all back together.

On a side note, what flavor of loctite do you guys recommend for putting this all back together?

Anyone know a quick way of getting old gasket material of without damaging the aluminum?

broken bolt in the block! 29 Apr 2006 20:14 #43783

• wireman
  • Visitor
you might want to have them run a botteming tap through the other holes while its in the shop.:whistle: is there a gasket on your sprocket cover?anyway try a razor blade to remove gaskets,blue locktight for bolts but clear fingernail polish works good in a pinch(dont ask me how i know):whistle: :woohoo:

broken bolt in the block! 30 Apr 2006 17:10 #43985

• cary
  • User
no, it's the alternator gasket that is hard to get off...

broken bolt in the block! 30 Apr 2006 18:44 #44012

• wireman
  • Visitor
cary wrote:

no, it's the alternator gasket that is hard to get off...

ya had me wondering!:whistle: :woohoo:

• Page: