Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

engine overhaul 28 Apr 2006 18:49 #43519

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have 28,500 on my 77 kz1000...and it seems to run great. my question is...what is the average mileage where one could expect to overhaul the top end? and what would the next size up from 1015cc be? thanks for the info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine overhaul 28 Apr 2006 19:33 #43542

• wireman
  • Visitor
it all depends on how well it was taken care of ive seen motors with 30,000 miles that looked brandnew inside ,but ive also seen motors with 10,000 miles that were hammered.run a compression or leakdown test on it.1075 is a common overbore its big enough to be spunky,but still leaves enough meat to be dependable! ;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

engine overhaul 29 Apr 2006 08:08 #43629

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You are not looking at this issue as I might... The engine is an air pump. As long as it functions as it should, it doesn't need to be rebuilt except for oil leaks and problems with peripheral systems; such as the transmission and even then, the top part of the engine (the air pump part) may not need to be rebuilt. The test for rebuilding is when the air pump looses its efficiency and that is when compression drops or becomes uneven between cylinders. Consult a shop manual for the service spec for compression and test your bike every time you change oil. If compression is outside of spec, it is time to rebuild it... not at some arbitrary mileage as wireman pointed out... different folks abuse their engines at different rates bwhahaha
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

engine overhaul 30 Apr 2006 00:04 #43822

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Its all fun and games until the cheezy cam chain rollers disintigrate and the chain comes off. Never seen a see through block.

engine overhaul 30 Apr 2006 08:49 #43885

• Kawozaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Nicely put Nads...I HATE subtlety!! Rebuild 'er if ya wanna---just WAIT 'til the WINTER!

• Page: