• Page:

TOPIC:

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 09 Dec 2009 22:27 #338342

• leakyseal
  • leakyseal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ pilot for life.
  • Thank you received: 0
I went riding today.I've never took her out in such cold with snow and ice still on roads.Most main roads only had some snow on'em...but a few were allmost all icy looking.I think my motorcross exp helped alot.I'm used to the shifty feeling.I was surprised at how well the old kz took it.I couldn't touch the front brake(lever & caliper seemed frozen anyway).The front tire wouldn't rotate for the first 30ft,:ohmy:,but it broke loose,and hooked up better than i thought it would in corners.My rear is a drum,so it worked fine (for once im glad i don't have disc rear).The tach cable was noisy,but the clutch was fine.
I couldn't stop well on snowy downhills,they were scary.The 650 was climbing icy hills like a champ though.I was passing all but 4WDs.I admit it was borderline stupid,but it was a blast.I had to put hands on motor at every light to keep from frostbite(i'm glad my engine isn't covered in plastic).
Oh ya,i allmost ran out of gas,and the gas cap was froze shut.:lol: I got a cup of coffee to pour on it. B)
[/Im size]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by leakyseal. Reason: wrong pic file type

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 09 Dec 2009 23:47 #338350

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 303
Yeah, rode several times in the winter while I was living in Wisconsin...then decided it was safer to move south :) Interesting, when I was going to the Univ. Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the city motorcycle cops rode 365...attached a sidecar for heavy snowfall.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 10 Dec 2009 07:55 #338379

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
leakyseal wrote:

I admit it was borderline stupid,but it was a blast.]

Some of the stupidest things I have done on a bikes were fun. Some were not. Glad to see you did not breakdown and get stuck when the plow came by. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 10 Dec 2009 12:40 #338412

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
I'll take sunny Tampa over sno bound Kansas. thank you very much!
1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 10 Dec 2009 16:07 #338438

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I've been riding all winter the past few years, but I call timeout when it's snow on the ground and icy. Cold temps are ok. The people at work think I'm crazier than ever, and the other bike riders at work hide their faces when I walk by...ashamed they aren't riding too, I guess. :laugh: :laugh:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Last edit: by OKC_Kent.

10* in kansas city,didn't stop me 14 Oct 2010 18:38 #406704

• leakyseal
  • leakyseal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ pilot for life.
Ya,don't think i'm bragging guys. B)
My truck wasn't running,and the KZ was all i had....as a matter of fact,i PLANNED on wrecking.I figured i'd run backroads at 25 or so to minimize injury.
I found myself doing 40 on the mains in no time (like an idiot),and even started doing controlled mini slides in slow corners.(MX exp paid off again)
I rode 3 hrs that night !

I have an update...i tried this again,and found out not all snow is the same.This was wet snow,and the KZ could barely make it out of the parking lot,much less climb a hill.I had to push it back about two blocks with it idling in first,lol.The backend was swinging out a bit,but i was able to walk it back.:blush:

The KZ is wrecked now.Rode drunk...thought i was Carl Fogerty at Isle of Man :huh:
I'll miss her,she was a great bike. :(

• Page: