Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 13:52 #790596

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you ungang the TK22 carbs, be ready to look for some replacement parts. Screws and other parts like to strip the first time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 14:22 #790600

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

loudhvx wrote: If you ungang the TK22 carbs, be ready to look for some replacement parts. Screws and other parts like to strip the first time.

Vessel Impacto screwdrivers are AWESOME for carbs. They are low duty for some things but perfect for removing carb screws...www.amazon.com/slp/vessel-jis-screwdriver/usa4a76856995g8

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 14:27 #790602

• Calvin9819
  • Calvin9819's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Yea ill probably do a clutch inspection before making a choice, that'd be more logical. Maybe replace it when i do the full rebuild.
as fo the tank liner, wouldnt it be more beneficial to just line it anyway? Ill take a picture of my tank rust so you can see how bad it is. But speaking of oil, any brands you suggest? i heard Mobil was one of the best for older bikes.

I hope i dont run into the stripping issue too often. Already have a bunch of broken off bolts from the PO. still gotta get those buggers out.

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 14:46 #790603

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Avoid the tank liner unless it is absolutely necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 15:38 #790608

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2068
Well, now. Every motorcycle forum has at least 100 oil threads, many of which get downright mean.
Here is my opinion.
Viscosity: use what the owner's manual and factory service manual recommend. For most KZs, that will be 10w-40, especially in the summer. Until I know more than the factory engineers, that is what I will do.
The extra-controversial bit has to do with the grade of oil. Your manual probably recommends SE or SF. They are ancient news. Automotive oils have changed a lot in the last 20 - 30 years as auto manufacturers search for the last 0.1 mpg and the last microscopic specs of pollutants to keep the government off thier necks. In doing so, oil manufacturers have added new friction modifiers that can cause problems for wet clutches, and have removed additives that KZ transmissions need. The easiest way to insure that you avoid these is to use oil that meets the JASO-MA specifications. That is the Japanese standard for common sump, wet clutch motorcycle engines. Some diesel engine oils and some automotive oils for racing use can be used, but I have no desire to try to keep up with that ever- changing landscape, so I grab oil with the JASO-MA certification and get on with my life. Brand, schmand. I believe any major brand with the certification and the recommended viscosity will do the trick. Mobil 1 4T has a great reputation. I have used it, but lately I have used Shell Rotella.
Prepared for flames.......
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Need some good brands for parts! 09 Sep 2018 15:51 #790610

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2068
Stripped screws and rounded off bolts and nuts are a commonpart of owning an old motorcycle.
Be aware that all those screws that look like Phillips head are actually JIS screws. The JIS screws need a blunt rather than pointy tip screwdriver. You can modify some Phillips screwdrivers, or just order the right tools. Z1E carries them.
Take all the 12 point socket wrenches you have and throw them in the nearest river. Six point sockets almost never round off the corners of stubborn nuts and bolts.
A high quality penetrating oil and a great deal of patience will greatly reduce broken fasteners and stripped threads. Kano Kroil is a really good one, though it can be hard to find and rather expensive. Another effective penetrant can be made by mixing acetone and automatic transmission fluid 1:1. Mix small batches as the acetone flashes off pretty quickly.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Need some good brands for parts! 10 Sep 2018 15:11 #790681

• Calvin9819
  • User
ill definitely be looking in to all your suggestions, thank you! I'll get a picture of my tank soon so you can see how bad it is, and what you suggest. And also, im using vinegar, and bb's to get all the rust knocked off, ive read many things online that say it's a really good way to get rust off. then using baking soda and water, and acetone to remove all impurities/ moisture.

Need some good brands for parts! 10 Sep 2018 15:32 #790684

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Need some good brands for parts! 10 Sep 2018 16:18 #790689

• Calvin9819
  • User
I actually got some JIS screwdrivers when i bought a set for school. I learned quickly that you have to use them on bikes, getting out the carb holder screw was quite the challenge before i knew any better!

Need some good brands for parts! 11 Sep 2018 05:09 #790707

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Vessel Impacto screwdrivers are a great hedge against stuck screws. They are not as sturdy as a full on impact Driver but for most things on the bike they will do fine.

Need some good brands for parts! 11 Sep 2018 08:19 #790720

• Calvin9819
  • User
awesome, i'v been looking for an impact screwdriver actually

Need some good brands for parts! 11 Sep 2018 21:18 #790736

• Calvin9819
  • User
Here are the pictures of my tank, finally got around to it.
Attachments: