Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 09:38 #830370

• Mr_Blonde
  • Mr_Blonde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Exhaust re-mount. Happy with how it looks.

Replaced the header flanges with billet aluminums from Z1.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 16:39 #830401

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256
I am deciding on whether to use header wrap or not myself. Since my project is leaning toward a vintage Superbike theme, I would go with the tan or gray wrap since it looks more like what the racers were using back then. I like your build, and paint scheme, but I have to say it looks a bit incomplete with the existing engine finish. I know how much work is involved with repainting an engine, I am starting down that path with mine at the moment. But the results will be worth the effort. Just my $0.02...
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 16:52 #830403

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Skidmark wrote: I am deciding on whether to use header wrap or not myself. Since my project is leaning toward a vintage Superbike theme, I would go with the tan or gray wrap since it looks more like what the racers were using back then. I like your build, and paint scheme, but I have to say it looks a bit incomplete with the existing engine finish. I know how much work is involved with repainting an engine, I am starting down that path with mine at the moment. But the results will be worth the effort. Just my $0.02...

Huh?? Superbike racers ( at least those who won races) did not wrap the pipes at all. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 18:14 #830408

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

Skidmark wrote: I am deciding on whether to use header wrap or not myself. Since my project is leaning toward a vintage Superbike theme, I would go with the tan or gray wrap since it looks more like what the racers were using back then. I like your build, and paint scheme, but I have to say it looks a bit incomplete with the existing engine finish. I know how much work is involved with repainting an engine, I am starting down that path with mine at the moment. But the results will be worth the effort. Just my $0.02...

I've got two rolls of gray wrap you can have for the cost of shipping. They look like 2" wide but not sure how long. Got them from a guy cleaning out his garage.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 18:34 #830413

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

The plan right now is to at least get it rideable before the season is over making some cosmetic modifications along the way, then pulling everything apart and finishing it (engine painting, chassis, touch up body paint) over the winter.

This is a more “as it happens” project thread rather than a retrospective on the finished product.

Last edit: by Mr_Blonde.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 21:55 #830431

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
I read somewhere the correct way to wrap was bottom up... Help keeps dirt and water out
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 11 Jul 2020 22:35 #830432

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

Mikaw wrote: I read somewhere the correct way to wrap was bottom up... Help keeps dirt and water out

I've read it both ways. From what I understand once the wrap hardens from the heat it shouldn't matter. Only trouble I can foresee running into is debris accumulating in the excess wrap around the very bottom where all 4 join so there's gaps between pipes..... not much I can see to avoid it though.

First time wrapping so we'll see. If it lasts, it lasts. If not, I'll pull it off and just keep the black hi-temp....or maybe bring it back to chrome all the way through.

Last edit: by Mr_Blonde.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 12 Jul 2020 12:39 #830469

• Skidmark
  • User

650ed wrote:
Huh?? Superbike racers ( at least those who won races) did not wrap the pipes at all. Ed

A lot of the club racers in So Cal used to run header wrap. We used to attend the road races at Willow Springs every month for several years (as spectators, mostly). AMA Pro Superbikes it was less common, and was usually seen with the privateer teams. Polarizing topic, and interesting reading when you research it thoroughly. Most either love it or hate it - not much in between.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 14 Aug 2020 17:37 #832927

• Mr_Blonde
  • User
Couple of updates -

Got the LTD rear end section of my frame cut and lined up to my E base frame and ready to weld on.

Decided to mock up how the bike would look if I decided to keep with the F seat and tail fairing I had - wasn't too bad looking but I wasn't sold on the look. Felt like it made the bike too long up top (and I don't feel like doing a stretch.....right now).

Stumbled upon a compatible LTD seat on eBay and was able to attach it with some convincing at the nose where it rests against the gas tank. Much happier with the second mock up. Will look better once I mount a once piece rear fender in a matching green.

But here it is so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 14 Aug 2020 17:46 #832929

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Your frame repair just made my day. Anyone that takes a sawzall to a frame should have their man card revoked!:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr_Blonde

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 14 Aug 2020 18:03 #832931

• Mr_Blonde
  • User

Nessism wrote: Your frame repair just made my day. Anyone that takes a sawzall to a frame should have their man card revoked!:lol:

Thanks!I wasn't sure about how the E / LTD would mesh but so far so good. I'm thinking I am going to need to remove that extra cross support just before the original cut so that I can fit the fender.

'82 KZ750-E3 Project - The Green Machine 14 Aug 2020 18:24 #832932

• Skidmark
  • User
I hope you remove all of the paint from the heat affected zone. You can't get the metal clean enough for a quality weld. After you clean it, clean it again...
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2