Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 27 Mar 2019 06:52 #801113

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
The carburetors need to be very clean. Crud from the fuel tank can affect a float needle, causing an overflow.

I would set the fuel level to 3.0mm as per the service fuel level check in the manual. A simple carb stand can be made from 2.x4s w 2x6 base plus a couple of L brackets & bungee cord. Some hardware stores have free scrap wood. A lawnmower fuel tank could be used as a temporary fuel supply. or a large funnel & tubing. I got a good plastic tank from a mower service shop for 5 or 10 bucks..

The 81 650-CSR VM24 carbs don't need a special tool to check the fuel level >> just attach clear tubing in place of the overflow tubing & open a drain screw. The #2 carb has 2 ports on the float bowl >> one for the overflow & one for checking the fuel level or draining the carb, so you don't have to remove the overflow tubing on #2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockybalboba

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 27 Mar 2019 14:57 #801144

• Rockybalboba
  • Rockybalboba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

Thank you for all the info. The carbs were mostly clean, I was only trying to run it to make sure it ran before it was getting a complete tear down for paint and a good cleaning of most everything. I guess this will make me think twice about doing that lol.

Pulling the bad stuff off tomorrow, hoping I can get the motor out, then she goes to my buddy's garage. I mostly was working on it here just to not bring a "turd" there (most of our friends do). I have the knowledge to build it, but only half the tools. He has the knowledge, garage, and all the tools lol. Once it is there she will be much better, my days will be less often to attack it, but the hours and what gets done will be more if that makes sense.

81 kz650h1 project "test pilot" 27 Mar 2019 18:51 #801156

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Sorry to hear about the mishap... glad you can keep moving forward on it though. Hope your brother in law is the understanding type. :)

Last edit: by loudhvx.