Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

So here's my project, and very open to ideas 22 Sep 2007 16:16 #172226

• AeroSS_87
  • AeroSS_87's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm very excited to dig in this spring on doing a very one-off customization for my bike on a budget. I think it would be very awesome to have something like nobody else, designed by me/for me, and have less than 2k in the whole thing. ;)

So here's my plan so far:
-1982 550LTD in good running order with kerker pipe, jetted, and air pods
-lower it as far as I can all around (ideas?)
-upgrade tires to cut some corners a little sharper
-wheels? any wider options out there?
-gpz rear fender/taillight (what's needed?)maybe even do the whole body to be a gpz (again, what's needed?)
-drag bars
-maybe try to do something with the big mirrors and rear turns if I can.. ideas?
-powdercoat engine/trans case (exept between the cooling fins)
-any engine internal mods? higher compression? cams???
-I have some chrome-illusion paint laying around I figure I'd use up on painting the body panels, then eggshell black powdercoat the wheels.
-bigger carbs to match any engine mods?
-and finally... ANYthing I can do with the foot controls? I know forward is hard to fab up, but anything for relocation at all? I hate getting my foot caught on the engine case.

I'm really a newbie on the custom world of these. Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated!

Post edited by: AeroSS_87, at: 2007/09/22 19:17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So here's my project, and very open to ideas 22 Sep 2007 16:50 #172230

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Don't know much about a 550 and wht performance parts are available or what parts will interchange between models that would help in that area...maybe someone else does. BUT...trying to lower the bike as low as you can and wanting to corner better actually will take two different kinds of set-ups. Upgrading the tires is always a good idea though. Basically, anything can be done if you want to go through the trial and error to make it work...take a long look at it and if it looks like something you want to get into, take it apart, cut, weld, whatever, and make it work. Surely wheels off another bike will work...my guess is to look for parts off a sport version of the 550(GPZ?) or maybe a 750. Swingarms, forks, and such should be the same or close enough they will interchange easily enough where most might be just a bolt-on...or with a little work on your part. Know anybody that has a bike like the one you WANT so you can compare frame mounts, forks, seat mounts, swingarm width, etc. so you can take measurements and such? Ask some guys on here to take some for you. Main thing to remember is that it can be done, if you want it bad enough!
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

So here's my project, and very open to ideas 22 Sep 2007 18:29 #172253

• AeroSS_87
  • AeroSS_87's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the info. I found a guy parting out a gpz550 on ebay, and the more I look at parts, I really think I'd be better off just modding a gpz. Although the whole point was to trick out the ltd. I'm kind of stuck. but, I think I can reach a happy medium and use a sport seat, (i hate that big bulky ltd seat) lower it really well, good tires, throw some cams in it with some bigger carbs to match somehow, and run my drag bars. That alone would take care of the ultimate functionality of what I want.

BTW - I drive by your place twice a week. ;) i80 from Lincoln, NE to south bend IN. ugh,..

Post edited by: AeroSS_87, at: 2007/09/22 21:33

• Page: