• Page:

TOPIC:

Should've written this intro sooner! 17 Oct 2006 23:53 #85139

• Six9GS
  • Six9GS's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,
I've been here on the site for a month or so. Many have probably seen a couple of my posts. Thought it time to 'properly' introduce myself and machine.

Priorities, the machine! It is a 1978 KZ650 USA type model. It was GIVEN to me around 2000 sometime by a dear friend. He had other motives than just being nice, although he really is a super nice guy. One, title problems, as in none. Two, he was starting up a local chapter of a motorcycle club and needed members. The bike was running when I got it from him and I was really impressed at how bloody quick the thing was. Upon a compression test, after my test drive, I found out I had low compression on one cylinder. Then, I was REALLY impressed with the bike. Dang, that quick and it only had three good cylinders. WOW!!! Tore the top end apart to find a stuck ring on one piston. It must have very recently happened because the cylinder walls had very very little damage. Nothing more than a glaze breaking hone was needed to get the head ready to re-assemble. Replaced that piston and rings and had just dropped and torqued the head on when life interfered and I got a divorce from my ex-wife. Unfortunately, that put the bike project on hold for a couple of years. In 2003, finally had time and resources to get'er done. Ran it on temp plates for a couple of months and FINALLY got the local MVD office to set an amount for a surety bond when the bike went back into hibernation. About three months ago, when gas prices went crazy, My new wife (she's awesome by the way) and I realized the money we could save in gas if I used my bike to go back and forth to work. Well, I had sort of been looking for a good excuse to finally get the bike on the road. I found one! So, after one final BS hurdle from MVD and cleaning carbs and such from 3 years of sitting, she's finally on the road. Lately the weather here has been wonderful and I sure am enjoying the riding!!

Additional work has included repainting the tank and things. When I got them they were green and it is not a color I prefer!! The paint job I did was great and I was very pleased with the results of my rattle can job. Unfotunately, when I had to pack the tank and stuff away during my divorce they didn't fair well and got scratched up. I have also overhauled the carbs and other such things like balancing the carbs. As with all my vehicles, the only work performed by others has been the machine shop work ( honing the cylinders). The decals on the tank I got off e-bay. I went for the larger decals to give the bike an older, early 70's look to it. It's not perfect, but it works. Considering overall I probably have less than $800 in this machine I think I'm doing pretty good. Future plans include ???? funds are very limited. So, this bike might basically stay like this for several more years until a couple more kids grow up and get out of the house.

As for me. Well, my first bike was a Yamaha 60cc bike when I was 13. At 14 I bought my first basket case. A 1972 Honda SL100. I had it on the road by the time I turned 15 and right after my 15th birthday got my motorcycle license. Over a year before I had a car license!!! Over the years I have had motocycles off and on. I had a 1978 Yamaha DT400 which was pretty fun when I lived in Victorville California. I moved to Germany in 1981 and when I saw the way the guys there drive motorcycles I decided I wouldn't get one. If I drove like they did, I'd kill myself. However, about a year before I left Germany it dawned on me that just because they drove motorcycles like suicide machines, didn't mean I had to. So, in 1984 I bought my first Kawasaki. A 1981 LTD1000. What a wonderful motorcycle. The most favorite motorcycle I have owned. It had a Vetter Quicksilver fairing and a luggage rack / rear passenger back rest. If I can get a picture of it scanned I'll try to add it later. I kept that motorcycle until 1995. Only sold it because I needed the money to move from Texas to my current address here in Arizona.
My screen name is derived from a 1969 Buick Gran Sport I revived and owned for a few years. I'm rather fond of old Buicks. I have had several through the years. I bought the 1969 Gran Sport from a friend. It had been sitting on blocks for 10 years with a seized engine. I spent the next two years mechanically reviving the car including overhaul of engine, transmission and pretty much every mechanical system in the car. It was awesome and a long story in itself. I ended up selling it to a car guy in Wappinger's Falls New York and the guy who bought it did more fixing up restoration type work and has had it in a couple of car shows!
Well, one other thing about me is that, if you haven't noticed already I have a verbose tendency.!!

Peace Out All!!!!!

Post edited by: Six9GS, at: 2006/10/18 02:58

Post edited by: Six9GS, at: 2006/10/18 03:32
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should've written this intro sooner! 18 Oct 2006 05:13 #85153

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Nice story :)

I like the flag on the side covers - I keep noticing reflective sticker canadian flags at the local shop, but couldn't figure out where to put 'em. Now I know :)

Cheers!
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Should've written this intro sooner! 18 Oct 2006 06:28 #85181

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome. Great intro, and nice bike! B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Should've written this intro sooner! 18 Oct 2006 07:11 #85187

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome!!!! Great introduction.;) Dont worry about yuor tendency, there's a few around here that you'll blend right in WITH!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle: :dry: Sorry guys.:silly: :silly:

Should've written this intro sooner! 18 Oct 2006 23:43 #85379

• Six9GS
  • Six9GS's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
pyxen wrote:

Nice story :)

I like the flag on the side covers - I keep noticing reflective sticker canadian flags at the local shop, but couldn't figure out where to put 'em. Now I know :)

Cheers!

I am missing the kz650 emblems for the side covers and needed to do something with the space. Didn't want to bondo in the recesses like I did for the tank emblems because the side covers flex and I thought it would bust the bondo out. Buying them off e-bay is usually an unaffordable option, considering they are not really essential and only for looks. The flag stickers seemed to be the answer and I have put them on several of my motorcycles in the past.

• Page: