Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 11 Nov 2018 12:06 #793685

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2072
You are probably right about the rust, but aluminum will oxidize even in Nevada.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 11 Nov 2018 19:35 #793699

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I would use penetrant on any fasteners that seem a bit stubborn. Otherwise you may break the fastener or damage the threads. My bike has always been covered or in a garage when not in use, but I still found several fasteners that would not come loose when I used normal force. I soaked them for a couple days with Kroil and they loosen easily. Especially tough were the screws that attach the carb holders to the cylinder head, the one that holds the tach drive cable to the head, and the rear master cylinder brake rod. These simply would not budge before I soaked them.

Regarding the JIS screws - TexasKZ is absolutely correct. Don't attack them with a Phillips screwdriver even though they look just like Phillips screws - use a JIS screwdriver bit. If you need more info on JIS bits let me know; you can buy JIS bits or make your own from Phillips bits with very little effort and it will save you many headaches and $$$. I can post how to info if you want it. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 15 Nov 2018 22:00 #793836

• TazzTheJynx
  • TazzTheJynx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I plan on getting a full JIS set of screwdrivers, i'm curious about what sizes I would need? I keep finding the smaller ones. I did find a nice looking set on the z1 site. I've been looking into older Japanese bikes for years and I understand the need for a proper set of JIS screw drivers.

Penetrating oil is going to be used heavily on all bolts and everything, just to be safe. Although rust is extremely uncommon here in Nevada (I've seen cars sitting for 20 years without any rust) for penetrating oil I was thinking of using PB Blaster, just because its easy to get at the local autoparts store local to me.

I got in touch with the owner today (after a couple days of him not responding to me) and its my understanding he lost the title... So, I'm going to take a look at the bike in person hopefully this weekend, then come to a agreement on price in person. I don't think paying $350 would be a good deal for a bike without a title that's been sitting so long.

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 16 Nov 2018 06:29 #793840

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
The JIS size I use the most is #3. It is used on the screws that fasten the engine cases to the engine. I also use the smaller size (#2 I think) to remove the screws that hold the carb bowls on the carbs. Rather than buying the JIS screwdrivers I bought the JIS screwdriver bits. I have a 1/4" Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver handle that I use the bits in when I want to use a handle (image below). One advantage of the bits over the screwdrivers is the fact that using a bit in a 1/4" socket (rather than a handle) I can easily remove the carb bowls with the carbs still mounted on the bike (images below). I bought my JIS bits years ago, so I can't remember where I got them, but the two links below show very similar bits. There may be other, better places to buy the bits. The ones I have are made by a company named "VESSEL. " Ed

cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/jis_cross_head_...ver_tips/4102/283408

mossmiata.com/jis-japanese-industry-stan...zEAQYASABEgIExvD_BwE

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 16 Nov 2018 07:28 #793842

• TazzTheJynx
  • TazzTheJynx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow thanks for the links! I'll look into getting the bit type instead of the screwdrivers, I think they may be a bit more helpful. I appreciate all the info you've given me! $5 for three bits isn't a bad price, especially since I can't find any jis screwdrivers or bits locally.

Long time lurker, soon to be owner 16 Nov 2018 16:42 #793857

• KZ802
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Although it is in rough condition, it looks very complete. Looks like original everything including exhaust and airbox. Not many in that condition that still have everything. Worth it if you are willing to put in the work. I recovered the seat on my kz750 that was in similar condition to yours, it was very easy and I had never done anything like that before. It made a huge difference in appearance. Don't forget to lube the throttle and clutch cables if they are in decent condition. Sucks breaking one away from home.
1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

• Page: