Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 ST Clutch 09 May 2024 04:16 #898767

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
I've ended up with a heap of spare engine parts and figured I'd build a second engine with them next winter. I have an ST crank case and a J Model transmission cover. I also have the transmission from an ST and an A1 output shaft. I'll take the gears off the ST output shaft and put them on the A1 shaft. 
I'm looking for any info on the ST clutch. Until I got the ST transmission I was unaware that they were different to the chain drive models. As far as I can tell they have different part numbers for the friction plates and springs (also 6 springs instead of 5). Are they heavier than the chain drive clutches? Can I use the chain drive actuator with the shaft push rod (I think the shaft push rod is thicker)?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 ST Clutch 09 May 2024 11:30 #898799

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 64
Everything is different on the ST, mainly because of the output. And it's not a J engine, IIRC, so moving ST parts to  "J" should not work, IMPO. They are totally different monsters, right?

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

KZ1000 ST Clutch 09 May 2024 11:39 #898800

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
I'm just using the J transmission cover on the ST crank case. With the J cover you can put an A1-A4 transmission in the case and convert to chain drive. I ended up with an ST trans though so had to swap out the output shaft but think I'm OK with the clutch, was hoping to clarify that here.
I also have an ST crank (which is the same as the MK2) and a set of A1-A4 cylinders. Still looking for a head in good nick.

• Page: